There is a 4200 International with a extended cab coming up at an auction near here in a few weeks. We have been keeping an eye on the look out for a new puller for our fairly large enclosed unimog hauler. The 2002 cab and chassis truck looks decent with just under 70,000 miles on it. It has a 190 HP VT365 engine in it with an Allison. No concerns about the tranny but I know nothing about the VT365. I welcome comments about the engine concerning reliably, economy pulling about 18,500 lbs gross using a 12 ft high, 30 ft enclosed gooseneck trailer, or any general thoughts about this engine.
The VT365 is the 6.0 motor that ford used in their trucks from late 03 till 07. You will get some people that love them and some that hate them. I like my 2 but that is just me. JJ
Got one of them 6.0s with a six speed manual in my current Ford F350. It has treated me decent, but don't need another the same. Will keep looking for a DT466 with an Allison. Thanks.
Someone correct me if I am wrong. The VT365 is a variant of the 6.0 used in Ford pickups but doesn't have the same EGR configuration as the Fords did due to the GVW of the 4200/4300's not falling into emission regulations of the time.
Yes I think some of the accessories are differnt but the vt365 is the package ih. Sold to ford for the 6.0. Not sure which.
I do not believe the 6.0 had much engine failure as far as crank, valves, etc. Most issues I heard about was what was thought to be bad injectors until Ford figured out the 48 volt coils in the brain were failing and ruining the injectors. Wen the voltage gets below 36 volts the injectors pound and self distruct. Now I'm really curious about the series used in the 4200 series trucks.
Ih ficm is basicly the same as the ford ficm.ford created some of that problem with the inductive heating flash they came out with. I know things like the water pump are different and things like that.
international had a bunch of problems with them, not as many as ford but they still weren't the greatest thing to ever have the navistar logo glued on it
2002 and 70k miles... I'd be screening the maintainance records with a fine tooth comb. Good luck. Hope it pays.