Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Interchangeability

Lil' Puss ยท 2010-10-11 12:20

Excuse my ignorance, but I've been told that all attachments will interchange (swap) between skid steer brands, ie; Bobcat, Mustang, Scat-Trac, ASV, etc. Is this true? They all appear to be pretty close. Is there a standardization or category size rating for these attachments?

Replies8
  1. #1bpogue2010-10-11 19:59

    Modern skidsteers pretty much have a common mounting platform and will accommodate any brand of attachments. That may not hold for some very old models. If your are talking about attachments that use auxiliary hydraulics, that may not be the case. You will have to ensure that your machine has the hydraulic capabilities to handle it.

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2010-10-11 20:07

    There is a standard. I don't know what it is called, but it is based on Bobcat's original design. The micro sized ones are similar, but smaller

  3. #3buckfever2010-10-11 20:45

    agreed. we have a hew holland and a john deere. and they both attach to bobcat and mustang.

  4. #4Lil' Puss2010-10-12 02:03

    Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I'm looking at a Scattrack 1300C and a Bobcat 753C for my own personal use.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2010-10-12 08:17

    There's still a slight difference between quick release hydraulic fittings between some ma ufacturers, so if your attachment uses hydraulics you may ha e to change connectors.

  6. #6toomuchtime2010-10-13 09:54

    The fittings that hook up with just hydo should all be sae fittings that work on all machines. Your more advanced attachments use electronic plugs along with the hydro hoses. These attachments are not interchangeble with rewiring.

  7. #7xcmark2010-10-13 18:30

    I would suggest looking it your local dealer network first before you buy anything . I own a JCB because of the size and price of the machine but If I had it to do over I would look at the parts network first. JCB has a local dealer 30 mile from me that can and will help me anytime I need it but at a SUBSTANCIAL cost for even the smallest of parts. EX: spin on hydlic oil firter holds maybe 2 qts and is very well built cost $ 97.00 + tax at my dealer . I cant say for sure but I would bet it could be crossed over to a heavy truck engine oil filter for $21.00 . Skatack I think is owned by Volvo now so see if there is a network to support you . I have come to terms with the fact if you run it your going to have to by parts at some point........ I am just getting over my $3500 repair on a oil leak on the lines going to the drive motors. Rust eat up the hard lines going to the track motors , If I had the dealer fix it the cost was going to be $4700+ ! $3600 of that was parts!

  8. #8Lil' Puss2010-10-14 02:18

    $97.00 is way too much for a hydraulic return line filter, I'd check with Baldwin, Wix, Parker, Donaldson, Pall, even NAPA. It's even still pretty expensive for a pressure side filter element. And $3,600.00 is definitely too much for some 1/2" sched. 80 tubing, but maybe there was more to it. But you are absolutely correct about parts support - something I hadn't really considered. Thanks. @toomuchtime: With my limited resources, I'll not be purchasing any attachments that even remotely require electricity (no pun intended)