Hi, I have an 04 304CR, hardly use it, maybe two or three jobs a year. Occasionally it will shut off and I have to turn the key off and lift the arm handle, restart and only for it to shut down 2 min later. Sometimes I can go for hours without it shutting down.... And sometimes 30 seconds. You can see where this is annoying. It also will not shut down sometimes, but this only happens sometimes. We have all new oil, air and fuel filters. I'm thinking something electrical but don't know. There is something on the motor that I think may be the problem but don't know the name the part, I keep thinking its a fuel shut off solenoid, it has a piston and goes in and out with the key on and off and a couple wires. Anyway sorry for being long winded but just picked up another job for it and need to get it going by next Wed. CAT is to far away and $$$$$$$. Any help would be great.
Sorry, I meant it will not shut down when I want it to sometimes. i.e. stays running when I want to go home.
Since it is currently "free" -My guess is a relay or like you said an electrical problem. Obviously connected with the starting/ shut down circuit . Sometimes electrical diagrams/ manuals make it clearer. When it cost$ you $ome job$ it make$ $ense to a$k the expert.
id look in the arm rest where it pivots and see if you have a bad connection or rubbing wires, sorta sounds like a shorting wire. also when it stays running does the engine stay running and the electronics shut off? or does every thing stay the same you just turn the key off and nothing happens?
Electronics go off but engine keeps running, gotta be a wire shorting out or a bad ignition......... now just have to find it, thanks for the info.
What about the fuel run solenoid looks suspicious? Can you take a picture of what you suspect?