I'm gonna look at a 175B trackloader. What should I be aware of for problems with these? Any tests for the transmission I should perform?
First and foremost is rail wear, if the loader has the 7.0 pitch rails they are no longer available from anyone, Allis used same spec and I have looked far and wide to no avail. Tighten up the track, measure from any one pin leading edge to the leading edge of the fifth pin away that will give you four links measured. Take that number and divide by four which gives a average for each link,then compare: First number is new, number to far right is 100% worn out. Dresser ( International ) TD340,TD5 610 24.01 613 24.25 616 24.25 619 24.36 623 24.53 500,TD5B,TD6,D85,TD7,100 610 24.01 613 24.14 616 24.25 620 24.40 625 24.60 BTD8,TD8,TD9,125,150 660 25.98 663.5 26.12 667.5 26.28 672 26.45 677 26.65 165, TD15,175 711 28.00 715 28.15 720 28.34 725 28.54 731 28.78 TD12,TD18,TD20 762 30.00 766 30.15 770.5 30.32 776 30.54 782 30.78 TD15C,175C,TD20B,250 762 30.00 766.5 30.17 771.5 30.37 777 30.59 784 30.85 TD20C, E, 250C, TD24, 25B 864 34.01 868.5 34.18 874 34.40 880 34.64 887 34.92 TD25C, E, TD30 1003 39.48 1008 39.68 1014 39.92 1021 40.20 1029 40.51 Dresser/Dressta I believe still offers 7.5 pitch in a dozer rail but loader shoes may be hard to find. Very few other problems I am aware of, very stout units when built and DT series engines parts widely available.
Thanks for the info! I see where there is a point where they did go to 7.5 pitch,so hopefully this one is a later model than 102?? serial number (can't remember exact number).
If the owner or shop its at has service records that is a plus, try all the functions until the tractor is fully warmed up then see how hard it will stall when filling a bucket(if the owner will allow), IH were fairly strong transmission set up, about the only weak point was cooling system and rails.
7" pitch normal chains & 7.5" severe service.