Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955l left track problem

BUFORD ยท 2014-05-18 12:11

left track 955l suddenly very loose but when you press left steer pedal it tightens back up-when you release pedal and move then it goes loose again-have took spring covers off and all looks ok-any help appreciated.

Replies9
  1. #1Mobiltech2014-05-18 13:06

    When you brake the left track I think you're just moving the slack to the bottom of the track it's not actually tightening. Have you tried adjusting the tension? Maybe the tensioner backed off.

  2. #2BUFORD2014-05-18 14:03

    was in rock when this happened was fine before then.

  3. #3AllDodge2014-05-18 14:12

    As Mobiltech mentioned have you put the grease gun on the tensioner? May have blown the seal in the tensioner

  4. #4BUFORD2014-05-18 14:57

    yes I discovered seal is blown at rear of spring what is the next move.

  5. #5BUFORD2014-05-18 15:06

    thank you all for your help-maybe its not as bad as it could be.

  6. #6AllDodge2014-05-18 16:36

    My 955 manual doesn't get into track or seal replacement. Looking at my D3 it shows to separate the track, remove front idler, then remove the seal. I'm a bit leery about messing with the spring but appears you don't need to remove it. Hope someone else hear can fill in; hope they can so I can learn also.

  7. #7Nige2014-05-18 19:17

    I think the tensioner issue on a 955L (and other problems as well) has been pretty well covered in this thread ............ HeavyEquipmentForums

  8. #8AllDodge2014-05-18 19:33

    When you get into it don't forget to take pics and post

  9. #9Nitelite2014-05-19 01:51

    See the link that Nige gave you. For more, also see the last few post to the thread Cat 951C in my sites About the same job done on both threads with the difference being kb9 chose to remove the spring to get clearance at the tensioner and Nitelite ended up busting the track at the master link and pushed the front idler forward to obtain the clearance to remove the tensioner. Plenty of pictures on both threads and a seal kit is less than twenty bucks. The parts source is also available on the threads. I would suggest that you clean up good (pressure wash if you can) around the spring and tensioner before you start the job. Really inspect that spring good as they have a nasty habit of breaking and remember that you can never be too cautious when fooling around with a loaded recoil spring. It can dismember and even kill you! Come up with your own plan based upon your own ability, equipment and tools that you have available. I would guess, depending on your ability, somewhere in the neighborhood of five to eight hours for your first side. If you need to rebuild the other side I expect it will go much easier and faster. Good luck and work safe. Got questions? Just ask.