Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

International 175c help please

Hermit ยท 2016-01-16 22:09

I recently purchased my first loader and, well, I guess you have to pay for your education. I bought this machine because a former employer assured me it was a good machine with no leaks. So far, I have found every system in it leaks except the drive system and that's only because I have not had to add any fluid to it yet. I kept losing hydraulic fluid in the system that controls the bucket by the bucket load, and to me this thing has a fairly large bucket. I finally got the plates off under the machine and found the leak coming from what I believe is a pump located under the seat and floor just in front of the seat. The input shaft has quite a bit of play in it and the fluid comes out in a small but steady stream when it is running and continues to drip out when it isn't. This makes me believe that pump is shot. I don't have anything to compare it to as it is my first machine, but what little I did run the machine it seems the hydraulics are fairly strong so I would think the rest of the system is in fair condition. Could someone please give some advice on how to remove this pump and how to repair it? I was wondering if it may just be a bearing and seal. If it should be replaced, is a rebuilt pump usually available for it? Or do I have to send the pump off to have it rebuilt? Also, I cannot find any repair or parts info on the net for this machine. Does anybody have shop manuals they would be willing to part with? Thanks to anybody who offers any advice.

Replies5
  1. #1bam19682016-01-17 03:35

    It's been awile since I have worked on a 175c but if my memory serves me correctly the hyd pump is under the floor board (basically under your left foot when sitting in the seat) and is bolted to the back side of the torque converter housing. If the shaft you are talking about is a short double u-joint looking thing then that is the drive shaft between the torque converter and the transmission. That being said, you are leaking transmiision oil not hydraulic oil. Like I said it's been awhile so hopefully someone else will either confirm this or correct me if I'm wrong. I believe a 175c is basically a td-15c with a loader instead of a blade. Alot of the parts are the same anyway.

  2. #2Mike Legg2016-01-17 17:04

    The hydraulic pump shaft is driven by a gear in the torque converter. It is bolted on the housing of the TC. You can not wiggle the shaft from the outside. I guess I don't understand exactly what shaft you are able to move around? Maybe you could investigate a little further and find out exactly what shaft you are referring to.

  3. #3bam19682016-01-18 10:43

    I was a little confused also. Thats why I mentioned the short drive shaft since it was the only one I could think of that is exposed. I would check ebay for manuals for for it. I have had pretty good luck there.

  4. #4Hermit2016-01-20 22:50

    Thanks for the replies. Sorry it took so long for me to get back with more info, but when I took the floorboards off, there is a short driveshaft to what I thought was the hydraulic pump. The driveshaft is under the left floorboard and goes to the rear. Its only about 8 or 10 inches long and connects to what I thought was the hydraulic pump. I thought this because of the fluid I was losing. The dipstick to the right of the seat, which I understood was for the transmission. I have not had to add any oil to that. However, the reservoir on the right side of the fuel tank, which I thought is the fluid for the loader, is where I have to continually add fluid. Does this help? Thanks again for the info and any information provided.

  5. #5bam19682016-01-21 02:06

    You are correct on the transmission dipstick and the hydraulic resevoir. I think the transmission holds @ 35-40 gals so if its a fairly slow leak you may not see much of a change on the transmission dipstick. If I recall, the correct way to check the transmission oil level is with the engine running and machine on level ground with the trans. in nuetral. I'm beginning to wonder if a seal might be out of your hydraulic pump and is dumping oil into the torque converter which (I think) would ultimately be adding oil to the transmission. That is if there are no other external hydraulic leaks. Again hopefully someone will either confirm this or correct me if I'm wrong. It's been a few years since I have worked on one of these.