Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

International 2654 DT466 Exhaust

colson04 ยท 2020-09-02 14:10

I've got an exhaust leak that needs addressing, and while I'm at it, I think I need to re-do from turbo back to muffler. I'm not sure what pieces I need to buy or should be looking for exactly and was hoping some of you guys might point me in the right direction. Truck currently looks like this: Not a great picture, but the exhaust makes a sharp bend down and to the front of the truck, then has a U-bend, and then goes underneath the cab. It's all wonky welded together so certainly not a pro job. I'll get a better picture later. I dont see any reason that the exhaust couldn't go straight back to the flex pipe (not shown) that is under the cab. Also, the flex pipe has a hole the size of a half dollar or so in it, so that needs replacing too. What is the piece called that comes off the turbine outlet? I tried searching for a DT466 Turbo manifold and only come up with the part that goes between head and turbo inlet.

Replies11
  1. #1redneckracin2020-09-02 14:18

    create an account on repairlinkshop.com and write down your trucks vin number, you can lookup all the factory parts that came on the truck. I think you are looking for the "down pipe" but don't quote me on that. If you can't get it to work, I can look up the part numbers for you if you want factory parts.

  2. #2colson042020-09-02 15:03

    Better picture That loop down beside the frame blocks access to the oil filters

  3. #3DMiller2020-09-02 16:28

    What a factory design mess, piping has been Mortified modified but likely close to what was originally there. May be time to get on Donaldson amd Walker HD Sites to see what Should be on this.

  4. #4crane operator2020-09-02 19:56

    That's got to be great for turbo performance, having that tight U right out the turbo. You just need a new pipe shaped like this and a clamp at the turbo. This one is 5" , I'm betting yours is only 4". 4" are available They also make just the flange piece and you can buy elbows and show off your welding/ pipeliner skills.... https://www.4statetrucks.com/exhaus...tDCzl9hYOHbkg7UBfzCfDP8dsEMHNCAUaAssqEALw_wcB

  5. #5colson042020-09-02 21:06

    I don't have any welder/pipeliner skills...

  6. #6colson042020-09-02 21:08

    Thanks for sharing the info guys, I have a better idea of what I'm looking for and where to look. This just went to the backburner as my bobcat suddenly has a bad hydraulic leak from deep inside. So much for augering holes and pouring footing pads tomorrow.

  7. #7crane operator2020-09-02 21:14

    You just need more tools then. What kind of farming operation doesn't have a welder? The only thing you really need to check is the outlet diameter, and what you are at the flex pipe. It kind of looks like in the picture it may go from 3.5 to 4. It looks like you have a diameter change back there by the flex pipe. They make pipes that change. I'd rather fix the exhaust than chase the leak in the belly of the beast. Have fun.

  8. #8Truck Shop2020-09-02 21:36

    That cast iron U-head pipe/manifold does not have a a flange for a clamp or head pipe where it mates to turbo. Use stainless flex pipe only.

  9. #9colson042020-09-02 21:42

    That's good to know Truck Shop. I can probably just replace the entire mess from turbo to muffler with flex pipe then. Right where the exhaust goes under the cab it transitions to flex pipe and stays flex pipe right to the muffler. The flex pipe also has a hole in it and needs replacing anyways.

  10. #10colson042020-09-02 21:49

    While I'm thinking about it, the turbo oil return line is seeping, but I also noticed oil staining on the compressor side above where the oil return line comes out. Can the compressor be removed and resealed, or is that grounds for buying a reman turbo and swapping them out?

  11. #11Truck Shop2020-09-03 06:52

    Because of the heat at the turbo you should install the standard head pipe then use the flex. I replaced several of those head pipes some years back and bought the oem head pipe. I don't remember it being that expensive.