Not a truck, but wasn’t sure of which forum to post in. This is a KTA-19 marine engine. Have two now that has been intermittently shutting down. I’ve checked the usual, fuel supply, electrical connections. Does not do it with the screw turned in. They only shut down when the engine is hot, throttled down to idle, put into neutral then back into gear. My assumption is that the engine idle in gear was dropping too low causing the oil pressure to drop and triggering the shut down. All of our engines have a 15 psi switch that will open and interrupt power to the fuel solenoid. The engine was going from 730 rpm neutral idle to 500-530 in gear. I changed out the pump with a rebuilt one and now it idles at 730 rpm, drops to around 600 in gear. There is a lot of load on the engine when in gear, the gearbox, a very long 8” shaft and a big propeller. But not all of the engines are having this issue. I always thought the governor should keep the idle rpm up even with load. Is there any kind of adjustment I can make to these pumps? Thanks for any help.
The idle adjustment is a flat/base setting, the governor at that point has no effect. What's the oil pressure at 600? On the KT series 15 psi oil pressure is the minim. Does the one with new pump stay running at 600?
I haven’t reconnected the shutdown switch yet. They’ve been running through downtown Chicago, not a good place to lose an engine. So at idle the governor has no control? Just the idle screw/spring?
This will explain it-https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzuwdxEJfQA
I’ve run into this exact same problem.. come to find out, the trans & shaft was out of alignment, putting an extreme load on the engine & bogging it down to the point that the injection pump couldn’t respond fast enough.. I hope that might help & give u something to think about.. Good luck
Thanks for the idea. Sorry for the late reply, still having issues. It was reported to me that the engine was idling and 590 rpm and then 700 rpm on the next day. Both in neutral.
Check for air in fuel system.
Checked that
How many hours on engines?
I’ll have to check tomorrow.
Engine has about 4,000 hours. Hasn’t died out since I replaced the fuel pump and went with a 10 psi shut down switch.
By the time it hits 6000 hrs that pump could I say could be looking at a rebuild.
Well hopefully this takes care of it. I usually pull the pumps for a rebuild when the start to get a dead spot.