Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

International 3400 TLB

Racenitro ยท 2012-03-16 17:07

Recently purchased "stole" ($2300) a Model 3400 IH backhoe. Tight good running unit but the brakes need to be pumped up to work. When pumped up they hold great, will spin the hoe around without even turning the steering wheel... Can't find a manual anywhere and don't see where to put fluid in for brakes. Only down side is the paint is not for the weak at heart..... If somebody can steer me to a place to get a parts/repair/etc manual, I'd appreciate it or tell me how the brake system functions... Thanks in advance....pictures attached....

Replies3
  1. #1Sky King2012-05-12 23:31

    You're wheels look better than mine. I have leaks and such, needs some TLC. I just paid $4K which was a surprise to me. I was looking for a tractor with a front end loader. When I saw the costs of the backhoes, I figured, why not get allot more machine for the money. I'm gonna tweak mine over the next few weeks, do some preventive maintenance ans such. I had allot of trouble finding anyone with one of these on the internet. Good Luck with it !! Gene

  2. #2Sky King2012-05-12 23:44

    I have brake issues as well. Mine hardly work at all. The brake system is kinda funny. The hydraulic system charges the brake lines and keeps them full of fluid. When you depress one of the levers/pedals it closes off the hydraulic flow and pressurizes the brake line, closing the disc. The brakes are not on the wheels but on the inside near the drive unit. I'm hoping for you and for me that our problem is merely the master cylinders that are right under the pedals or in that general area. There is a test you can do to determine which master cylinder it is but I don't have the test in front of me at present. I hope I don't have to remove the rear wheel and the housing off the tractor to get to the brakes. If I do, I'm gonna replace the bearings and seals, I'm not doing any of that twice. LOL You can look on ebay and find some manuals, as well as tractor parts houses if you do a search. I think you can find one for $40.00 and up, or at least in that range. I believe I am going to have to make me a test gauge set up to be able to check the systems and troubleshoot when needed. Please post how you are making out with the repair. I am a machinist by trade so none of this stuff is foreign in that respect but...the systems on this thing can be daunting unless you know where to look. Unfortunately, I don't at the moment so this will no doubt be a learning experience as long as I own it. It is gonna save me allot of physical work and I'm likin that already !! Take Care, Gene

  3. #3TD-52012-05-13 12:28

    For Manuals , check out " Binder Books", They have manuals for most anything IHC heres a link to "Industrial Wheel Tractors" http://www.binderbooks.com/industrial.htm