I just bought my first backhoe tell me what you think. the guy I got it from had used it to load logs most of the time. the backhoe spun a bearing and he pulled the engine it is a D236. he bought a rebulid kit. sleeves, pistons, rings bearings. he had the crank checked and the machine shop only trned the one bad bearing surface and polshed the rest of the crank. then he tried to get the sleeves out and couldn't. the engine sat in his shop for 5 years the hoe sat out side. he wanted 1500 for every thing all of the new parts for the rebuid and a new clutch and pressure plate he bought. I got the whole thing for 1250. I brought the engine home and ran a bead of weld from top to bottom on each sleeve let them cool and tapped them right out. I am going to take the block to my machine shop and have it hot tanked. then reassemble it. I am looking for a engine manual for the d236. and any sugestions. Did i get hurt? I felt that i just paid for the parts all still in the box and he gave me the backhoe. I also bought a triaxle trailer from him for 200 needs new wood and tires. I have always had to rent equipment when i needed it now I own one. how much should a feel it safe to invest in the backhoe and it still be worth it? I will post some picturse as soon as i get it home I have to repair the trailer first. thanks this is also my first tread here
well for a 2wd running backhoe right now 6k will buy some older stuff, and 10 should get you an open station basic 2wd maybe 8 to 10 years old. Although IH went under, the machine shares alot of its parts with their ag tractor line so parts shouldn't be an issue. Might have issues getting parts if you are working on the backhoe, is that one a chain swing? I don't like the idea of just turning the bad cylinder, if you do one, do them all. But for what you have in it, I dunno. As for what you have in it, you can probably part it out with what you have in it and break even or make a little. If it doesnt take too much to get it going again, you could have saved some money. But, if it sat outside, you might have tires to replace, and the seat, and dried out seal and stuff. With the way the equipment market is right now, your prolly better off getting a newer machine or taking someones payments over. Unless its just going to be a around the house machine, then it up to you.
I know the 3616 real well I think I may have a engine shop manual in the for sale items this website, yes you have dry sleeves. Make sure you put the oil pressure regulating valve back.
Yes there is one; INTERNATIONAL AND HOUGH SERVICE MANUAL 221, 263, 301 SERIES CARBURETED AND 236, 282, 301 SERIES DIESEL ENGINES ISS-1040-1 100 GOOD