Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucket Teeth

Rick Rowlands ยท 2009-02-22 10:35

I've just rebuilt a White Oliver 2-78-15 "Mighty Hoe" and now I need to replace a missing bucket tooth. Since its an oddball brand these teeth aren't listed anywhere, so I am hoping that I can find a replacement based on what the others look like. I'm posting a couple of photos in hopes that one of you can maybe identify the type and tell me where Ii should look to find one. The tooth is about 4" long overall. my gut tells me that White Oliver probably bought teeth from a vendor instead of engineering their own style. Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1willie592009-02-22 10:48

    Looks like a welded tooth, kinda like one's Bobcat used for example. You may find a tooth similar to them, I can't tell in the pics what kind of pin retainer the shanks have. Another choice you have, if your bucket's in fairly good shape, is find new shanks. Cut the old shanks off, and weld on new shanks with a more common tooth.

  2. #2AtlasRob2009-02-22 10:52

    I know them as Cat type tips. Have a look at this link, although UK based it will give you the different dimensions to check. If you dont know, that pin knocks out. There is a split collar sat on the edge of the root that holds the pin. Give it a good soaking in diesel or similar then attack with a big hammer http://www.digbits.co.uk/undercarriage_parts.htm#teeth

  3. #3Rick Rowlands2009-02-22 10:53

    I was just doing a bit of searching and found references to series 23 teeth. Seems to look like what I have, but since I'm new to all of this I don't know if that is a standard type or what. I tried to find specs or drawings so I could measure and compare but no such luck. I have seen where I can cut the old shanks off and weld new ones on. Its an option if what i have isn't a standard size.

  4. #4willie592009-02-22 11:10

    You might try contacting S. Cohn & Sons in Indianapolis, they might be able to fix you up with something. At least, whether you do teeth or teeth and shanks, these parts aren't terribly expensive.

  5. #5equippartsdir2009-03-01 20:37

    PM me or call me at 330.592.0230 and we'll get you fixed up.

  6. #6insleyboy2009-03-01 21:01

    Looks like it could be an old Esco bucket, and if thats the case, AtlasRob was correct as to extracting the pin. They are an odd design but seem to stay put, sometimes a tack of weld would help keep em tight.

  7. #7GA45002009-03-03 14:26

    not sure

  8. #8OneWelder2009-03-03 17:57

    Those rubber tire back hoes pretty much used the same weldon shank, cap -so go to the most convenient or the cheapest dealer,(Cat, Case, etc) parts supplier (Track places quite often sell teeth as well) - they should be able to match em up Any of those shanks that have been used bare ,will more than likely brake a new cap

  9. #9idler2009-03-07 22:50

    The sidecutter looks in good shape, and by looking at the lip, you are better off cutting it and weld and new lip and adapters.