Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

International 4400 ABS issues

BoomerFF373 ยท 2009-06-28 23:08

How many of you guys with these trucks have had problems with the ABS system? The fire company I belong to has an '04 4400 pumper and its been to the dealership 3 times for ABS related issues. It just came back from International, they replaced a rear wheel sensor and the light is still on...

Replies9
  1. #1Muffler Bearing2009-06-29 18:15

    I fight a battle to keep the lights off. I have meritor wabco abs on all our kw's does it flash codes for you?

  2. #2BoomerFF3732009-06-29 19:03

    I'm not sure if it does or not... I think there a certain way to retrieve the codes with the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel

  3. #3Muffler Bearing2009-06-29 21:10

    I really don't know fire trucks, but cruise control usually gives engine codes. ABS should be another switch, maybe down by the pedals. It would be helpful to know if you are fighting individual component problems or a problem with the system.

  4. #4BoomerFF3732009-06-30 18:21

    I'll have to look around down near the pedals. What kind of switches would they be? The history of the problems is when it was new a wire got pinched when they were putting the fire body on the truck which caused problems with the ABS system so they eneded up replacing the main harness that runs along the frame. The 2nd time it was just a loose connection. The 3rd time the light came on the dealer replaced a wheel sensor but now the light is back on again... its like a never ending battle with it

  5. #5Muffler Bearing2009-07-01 19:32

    it would just be a push button, key on, hold it for 3 seconds and it blinks codes. with out any communication it will be hard to get anywhere with it. You could always try swapping the ABS relay in the fuse panel with something else, just for a shot in the dark. It would be good to at least locate it, sometimes it is hidden.

  6. #6BoomerFF3732009-07-01 23:32

    I'll have to take a look...

  7. #7Iron Horse2009-07-02 00:23

    Be sure the light is not normal . Many trucks will have this light illuminated to simply tell you that the trailer they are towing does not have ABS . Some will allways be on until an ABS trailer is plugged in at the rear . It does sound strange it is intermittent tho . Also if it is CanBus wiring and they have joined it , the resistance will be way out and the pooter will play up .

  8. #8BoomerFF3732009-07-02 21:36

    It seems like most of the newer International 4400s have been having the same ABS issues

  9. #9BoomerFF3732009-07-23 21:29

    They found the problem... I guess it was in the wiring harness that runs along the frame rail