I was wondering if the truck itself would handle occasionally hauling 40,000lbs if the truck had enough power? Would like to have a crew cad and the 4900 is about the only one that I can find that is not terrible expensive.
what are you going to use truck for? What engine? the cab's have a reputation of rattling apart and are known for some electrical problems
Mainly be used for my excavating buisines, hauling a skid steer and mini, but would occasionally be used for hauling a box trailer to tractor pulls.
The cabs do rattle quite a bit, but they are a pretty solid truck. I have hauled 40,000 with one for a short distance, but would not recommend it. What is in your box trailer that is 40,000?
The 40,000 would be a big track loader, 12,000lbs, mini 18,000lbs plus attachments and trailer. the box trailer would maybe have two tractors wieghing 9,500lbs a peice.
Any other info would be great. Thanks
considering dummies now pull up to 35,000 with f350s and 3500s I say go a head. Does it have the 466dt with a 6spd
it would probally have a dt466 with an 9 or 10 speed
I have owned a 4900 for years now, it has a 466 and a worthless spicer 6 plus 1 transmission in it, for what your wanting to pull with that truck, go find a bigger truck and pay somewhat more for the larger truck, right away. The 4000 series trucks are a "medium" duty truck at best. The skid steer, mini and attachments you have listed are a load for a regular sized semi, not a 4900, that truck will pull either the skid steer and attachments or the mini, not all. I don't know what trailer your going to be using, but I'd venture a guess to get all that on a deck, it must be a fifth wheel step deck style trailer, your box trailer is what a cargo van type? The 40,000 lbs your wanting to pull is almost what I scale on my semi's for a gross of 80,000 lbs. Will a 4900 pull it, yes for a while, but you don't have the drive line to handle that much weight, or hp to get you up to speed and maintain that speed not to mention the weight and stopping power. I don't know what you have for hills in your area or where your planning on going, but that truck won't handle that much weight and hills too, your going to end up far short on torque and hp with a 466. Most 4000 series trucks had spicer transmission in them not 9 or 10 speed fuller eaton's, those were added later on, or else the allison auto's in them, about the same as they put in diesel pickups today. Those 9/10 speeds are not the same as what you'd find behind a L10/M11 cummins or larger engine, those are sized to the engine, I call them the lightweight transmissions, far better than the worthless spicers, but still short of endurance compared to one in a 8 or 9000 series international truck. I see and hear stories of people pulling that weight all the time with a 4900, I"v also noticed that they don't it for long or very far from home, before updating to a larger truck, and when they are doing it, they give new meaning to the term of holding up traffic.