I need to replace the power steering lines on my Topkick 8500. Two questions: 1: Do they make a hose for this, rather than a line? If not, I will purchase ss lines as I don't want to do this job again. 2: The fluid appears to be engine oil rather than ps fluid. Is this common? And would I just use 10w30 diesel oil (it has a Cat 3126)?
Who knows, you probably need to go to your local hydraulic shop to discuss. I would consider going with off the shelf parts if cheaper and easier because a Topkick is getting older and is the rest of the truck going to be around long enough to need another set of lines? Only you know the answer to that. Most pumps and steering gears are dual rated for ATF or engine oil but you are just not supposed to mix them. If it has engine oil then whatever you use in the engine will be fine. It is not critical.
Thanks for the reply. This truck will be around for quite a bit longer as it has only 31k miles, and I use it only weekly. I will check NAPA for a price first though. And thanks for the reply on the ATF vs oil.