I have a td14 that the left hand steering clutch does not work. When I try to engage the clutch it trys to kill the engine. I'm trying to remove the clutch to clean the pads. How do you remove the gear shift mounting plate that bolts to steel floor to gain access to clutch. I have all bolts removed, gear shift lever, but something seems to be holding this plate down. What do I do next? Thanks RonM
Hi,Do you have the books for the machine? I Can look it up if you don't . I seem to recall its not too hard I'll have to look and see. Steve
No I don't have any books the only info I have gotten is from this forum and you tube. It appears that something is holding that plate from underneath and I cant see what it is. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.. Ron
Which series machine do you have?the early models 14 and 14A they just unbolt and lift off. That's what my old 14 had . For the later 141 and 142 series it says First, disconnect the linkage of the locking cam so it can be removed from the shifter housing as a unit. then remove the cap screws holding the gear shifter housing to the main frame cover, and remove the complete housing with levers from the main frame cover. Hope this helps, sounds like something is seized. might check to see if the brakes is locked to the drum before you tear into it to far. they are accessed through inspection covers undereath. pull the covers they have to come off anyway and see if the mechanism is moving when someone moves the brake pedal. Could be a final drive too, not trying to be negative but when the bearings go they drop down between the gears ,case etc and jam up til something gives usually the case breaks. anyway I no longer have a 14 just a small t6 , maybe I should donate the manuals your way. Steve
Steve, thanks for yourhelp. The only manual I have is an owners manual that I got with the machine and it is for a td14. I couldn't find any model # anywhere, but the owners manual seems to be close to mine and I know its a 50's model. Would a seized brake cause it to kill the engine when you depress clutch and brake? All this is way over my head, I'm learning as I go. I sure would appreciate the manuals, without this website, I'm pretty much blind...Thanks again for your help and I will ck the brakes next.
Steve, I'm making headway. I got the cover off and now am facing another problem. Hopefully the last to get the clutch out. I can see that the clutch is all rusted up, so I think that's my original problem. How od you get the vertical gear that pushes the clutch in and out loose from its mounting. There is a pin in the top of this gear that has cotter pins in top and bottom. It also appears to have the same in the bottom, but can't figure out how to get to it to remove that pin. there is noaccess from below and very little from top or back. Am I going at it the right way or is there a different method? Tks again
Nope it comes out through the top it takes some patience hopefuly its not too rusted up in there. PM me your address or list it on here and I will send you the service manual sounds like you have more use for it than I do. Also post over on the redpower forum more info there than I have . Steve
My address: Will keep trying, I don't know about a redpower forum. Do I get to it from this website? My address isRon Moore, 9556 Ehlers Rd., Stover, Mo 65078. Steve, enclose a bill, I appreciate what your doing, but sure don't expect you to be out any money... Tks again
Ok I'll send them out tomorrow when they arrive just the postage is fine glad to pass them along. Google redpower the ih forum should come up lots of guys with way more knowledge than I. When the manual arrives it shows the easiest way to remove and replace everything I had my nose in it more than once while doing clutches etc. steve
ive got two TD 14A crawlers. I junked one. The steering clutch housings where full of water and the clutches froze solid. I tore it apart and it was pretty easy. I pulled the tractor back & forth to get out the bolts that held the steering clutch drums .
I finally sent the books out today hope they help keep us posted on the progress. Steve
Steve, thanks, with your help we finally got the clutch out and it was pretty much welded together with rust. Managed to separate them all, grind as much rust off as I could and reassembled. Now its a good news, bad news thing. The good news. I now have left hand steering finally after about 4 years of all right turns. The bad news, during the reassembly, I've messed up the gear shift alignment somehow, I only have low gear, no reverse or second. It was going so well and seemed pretty easy to align the two floating gears with the forks I just bolted it all down. Now I'm not sure what I could have done wrong? Possibly the gear shift lever shifted from where I took it out to a different position when reassbly. Been pouring down rain for past few days so havnt been able to go back for a few days. I got your books today, but they didn't give a lot of info about this problem (probably think its to simple for a mechanic). Anyway tks again for your help and the books, I will let you know how it turns out after it quits raining. Any advice on this issue would sure be appreciated....Tks Ron P.S. The checks in the mail, tks again
Glad the books arrived, everything needs to be aligned before you bolt it back down. You might be able to hold the shifter in place and move it around to feel if the gears are right or at least without all the bolts in. Sounds like you are there glad the clutches went back in they aren't to bad as the compartments have some room in them. How does the rest of the tractor run? Steve
I thnk I've got it all back together, but havnt had a chance to try it because of weather. It only get used a few days a year now and is pretty much on its last leg. I believe I have a cracked head, so every time I use it I have to drain some water out of the unit to keep the plugs dry. Its also very hard starting which also makes it a pain to use. This is a farm machine so I cant complain to much, it does what I want and gets used very sparingly. At least now when I do, I can turn rt and left. Thanks again...Ron