I started putting the rear end back together step by step on the service manual. When Im torquing down the pinion shaft nut the shaft becomes very hard to turn and havent completely torqued it yet. Do I need to add or remove shims to take the pressure off the bearings? btw case discountinued all the shims so does anybody have a place to go to for that it I need more?
Yair . . . Fordman You don't state what you are working on but, in general, you will always have to add shims to reduce preload. The shaft should turn smoothly at its designated preload with no 'lumpiness' or jerks. . . initial torque to start it turning will be higher than the rolling value. Shimstock in brass or steel should available from any engineering supply house. They are very easy to make using the retaining cap as a template. Make sure though sure cuts and punchings are clean with no burred edges. Cheers.
Did you set your lash with a dial indicator and check your pinion to ring gear pattern to make sure those were correct before installing the yoke and nut?