I have a RD 406 in a truck and was wondering if anyone knows what the fuel pressure should be . I have an electric fuel pump but am not sure what it should be at. It has a Holley 885 FFG carb on it. Also where is the best place to set the timing ?
https://www.binderbooks.com/1950-57, L, R, S Trucks.htm Truck Shop
Don't quote me as I only worked on one old IH, well not counting the one dad had back in the late 1960's, the one we had at the quarry had us confused till we found out that in the model we had it was timed using #8 cylinder. I should have an old Motor's Manaul some where but for the life of me can't recall where it might be! Like someone once told me: "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!" Did a little Google work on the RD406, there is quite a bit of info out there but lots of it is somewhat old. Might be worth checking on some of those sites
I found some info today in old tune up manual. Fuel pressure: 5PSI Initial timing: 5 deg. BTDC Point setting: .019 with 32deg. dwell. If you need more let me know.
Thanks guys!
Will also need check suction on a mechanical fuel pump, less than 15" and they would not pull enough fuel to feed 5 psi. Hansen you thinking of an old MV series or VS Series engine on #8 timing?
OP has an electric pump. But I would still replace any rubber on the suction side and get a close look at the tank bottom inside to look for rust flakes or water.
Probably has a standpipe as well, may be rusted thru at the air interface line.