Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

WW2 Iron

hillbillywrench · 2018-01-16 15:19

i’ve had some free time for surfing lately and read up on some of the innovations of ww2 designers. I guess the weight alone would qualify some of it as HEAVY Equipment. Look at a Soviet V12 diesel: aluminum block iirc, one bank had a longer stroke, pre-start oiling system, and 38L displacement. The most common Sherman tank model had an air-cooled aircraft radial engine. And aircraft engines using (or trying to use) turbos, superchargers, direct injection, multi port fuel injection, and multi bank engines. The 6-71 2-stroke was a 1930’s design that was in production well into the 1980’s(?) with few major changes. All of this done before FEA, computer modeling, cnc machines, or even calculators. Horses were still commonly used on farms and steam power equipment was common as well. Tear into a 1940 piece of equipment (ag, industrial, or construction) and compare it to a 1950 model. Of course some of their mistakes are still being made (when will designers realize that Ease-of-maintenance, parts commonality, and extensive PRE-production testing are all good things.)(I realize that designers don’t have complete design freedom and are backed into a corner sometimes. It’s just frustrating sometimes.) They didn’t always get it right the first time, and sometimes wasted resources on ill-conceived designs, but they did do some amazing work in a short time. My hat is off to them, the people who built the equipment, and the operators who used/repaired that equipment! A generation of innovators!

Replies76
  1. #1DMiller2018-01-17 16:25

    Have seen nothing until you get into the big Waukesha gas and diesels, White's own engines, IHC Mack and GM HUGE gassers, Hercules, Lycoming pattern V12 from American LaFrance. Ford, Packard and Chrysler all put engines in Shermans, GM built aircraft engines for Allison patterned SIMILAR to Rolls Merlins. Lots and lots of oddball engines in those days.

  2. #2hillbillywrench2018-01-17 20:19

    I watched a video of Russians pulling a KV1 tank out of a lake. It had been in there since ww2. They winched it out, rolled it over (it was upside down all those years), and when they started dragging it the tracks and road wheels were turning. I couldn’ believe the bearings hadn’t seized solid. I’ve seen that in other videos as well. (Maybe their idea of bearing clearance was “less than a finger width”. IDK. The maintenance intervals and hours-before-overhaul times were extremely low for most ww2 equipment, but equipment that survived the war seems to have held up well in civilian use. They were breaking new ground in engineering, materials, and applications (some of this developed much further in postwar years). They also had some crazy ideas that never worked out. I can’t imagine the headaches involved with the multi bank engines. Trying to tune five (or six?) Gas engines tied into one crankcase? Or build a 3500 rpm sleeve-valve aircraft engine making well over 3000hp with materials and machining technology of the time. BTW, DMiller did you enjoy this last round of winter weather? I’m a few hours southwest of you and we hit -12 last night.

  3. #3DMiller2018-01-17 20:25

    SUCKS here!! Was -1 degree just yesterday morning, so cold the dogs did NOT want to go outside to pee. We got just a little snow, side lots are treacherous so no hauling happening for a bit. Can't wait for next week, frost will be rolling out and all the frozen lots will be quagmires!!

  4. #4hillbillywrench2018-01-18 22:36

    Our lot sees approx. 3000 loaded semis (hopper bottom grain trailers) a year and it will still be Slop when the ground thaws a bit. The boss had untold loads of shot-rock base put down and it still gets squishy. Of course I could drive ten miles and hit ground that doesn't ever get soft. Welcome to the Ozarks. I would just be happy if grain bin designers could build a system that works reliably. Spent all day fighting one bin. Had a gearbox shell out. We replaced that same box two or three years ago. It only sees a few hours use a year, is out of the weather, and had oil when installed. Of course it's a pita to replace. At least the weather is warming up a little. DMiller, you should get some days to move equipment around wine country next week.

  5. #5ol'stonebreaker2018-01-18 23:43

    As far as the 2 stroke detroits go the EPA is the only reason the're not still built and sold. Mike

  6. #6hillbillywrench2018-01-19 22:37

    I grew up listening to 6-71’s and 6V92’s in loaded dump trucks coming down a long hill near our farm with the jakes on. And then listening to them going down thru the gears to get back up it empty! Amazingly versatile engines but probably not the best truck engine. Maybe if HD automatics had been more advanced they would have done a little better. Incredibly tough motors though. IIRC, they were designed for marine propulsion. Way ahead of their time at introduction. Overhead valves, a roots blower, unit injectors, modular design, ease of manufacturing, easy to maintain, weren’t very sensitive to fuel quality, long life at max rpm, and a very good power/weight ratio compared to existing boat motors. And, easy to evolve into multiple applications, advancements, and various displacements/layouts over the years. I still see some old boats on TV that sound like they’re running Detroit 2strokes. I would imagine that lack-of-parts, fuel economy, and retiring mechanics eventually end that. Of course, I consider NOT having to plug a computer into the harness a good thing!

  7. #7DMiller2018-01-20 06:42

    Lots of DD power on the water, many bigger boats use EMDs which are just overgrown DDs or DDs on steroids.

  8. #8Willie B2018-01-20 20:51

    It isn't WWII. All components were WWII, but the first power wagon rolled off the line in 1945. They claim hours after the last WWII military vehicle left. For several years these were strictly civilian market. Perhaps 1952 the military started buying a few. Military pickup versions were open, or canvas cab, troop carriers, ambulances, and a few command cars. It was the first factory produced four wheel truck on the market. The Willys CJ beat it to production by hours.

  9. #9RZucker2018-01-20 21:22

    I have a construction magazine from 1967 that shows an ad from Dodge offering those trucks for sale.

  10. #10RZucker2018-01-20 21:40

    Not made for trucks???? Man I have pulled loads with everything from a turbo 4-53 to a 16V71 in a Euclid rock truck. They were very much at home in a truck.

  11. #11Truck Shop2018-01-20 23:00

    The best engine ever made for a cowboy is a Detroit Two Stroke. He can't hardly hurt it, LET 'ER BUCK. Truck Shop

  12. #12RZucker2018-01-20 23:09

    I used to slam my hand in the door, and drive it like I hated it. Works great on a Detroit.

  13. #13Willie B2018-01-21 08:32

    They were marketed heavily to returning veterans, among others. A farmer didn't need a tractor, truck, and car. A Power Wagon filled the need for all. A vast array of attachments were available including three point hitch, hydraulics, belt pulley PTO, and shaft PTO, dump bodies, snow plows, winches, and the list goes on. One advertising film shows the farmer plowing all day, then his lovely wife climbing in in her dress, and high heeled shoes to go to town for groceries. The price immediately after WWII was quite low, but skyrocketed when federal price restrictions were lifted. It is said they cost what a top of the line Cadillac did. How many farmers used them as their only machine? I don't know. 1967 was near the end of production for the domestic market. There were plenty built until 1971 for export. Willie

  14. #14td25c2018-01-21 10:31

    Patton Museum is a great place to visit , allot of iron on display . https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...nWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=7&autoplay= http://www.generalpatton.org/

  15. #15Shimmy12018-01-21 15:16

    Sounds like they should have excavated a few feet, installed geomat, and then built on that.

  16. #16Truck Shop2018-01-21 15:26

    That-plus to many moving parts and very poor fuel economy. Truck Shop

  17. #17RZucker2018-01-21 20:25

    Dang... You're smashing on my customer base there. Seriously.. though. I hardly see more than one or two a year anymore.

  18. #18td25c2018-01-21 20:27

    Pretty amazing what manufacturers were able to do on short notice ....... What engine would ya like in that Sherman ? We got options for Continental , General Motors , MOPAR & Ford . http://www.theshermantank.com/category/gm-6046/ Not the perfect Tank but under the circumstances the Greatest Generation was able to mass produce them in high numbers & move them quick to where they were needed .

  19. #19Truck Shop2018-01-21 20:42

    But you got to remember td25c you could build things in those day's without a liable law suit every time you turned around. Truck shop

  20. #20digger242j2018-01-21 21:35

    Since the subject of Shermans has come up, here's an interesting article: https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2015/05/24/idi-amins-shermans/ Actually, the whole blog is pretty fascinating. I learned about it a few weeks ago, and have been spending some of my spare time reading there. Lots of information about how WWII weapons and equipment went on to be used in the years following, including in some rare instances, even now: https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/

  21. #21td25c2018-01-21 21:48

    Old Man was on the gun crew on an M 109 mobile howitzer in 1969 / 70 . 8 V 71 power under the hood . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M109_howitzer#/media/File:Self-propelled-howitzer-vietnam.jpg Rig was built to lay down major pain on someone ..... He made it back to the states and got in to Agriculture & cattle big time after what he saw in service . it's a hell of allot easier to produce & feed folks then hurl rocks at them .

  22. #22hillbillywrench2018-01-22 16:37

    RZucker, i think the narrow power band (typical of most two strokes) was the main downside to DD's in oth trucks. And the noise. Did the Euclid run automatics? Iirc, a lot of the off road trucks with dd's did. That would certainly keep that detroit wound up Willie B, my Grandad had a surplus M52? and a couple of jeeps that he used on his ranch in New Mexico. He broke the jeeps a lot (horrible roads and heavy loads are a bad combination), but they were pretty easy to repair. The Power Wagon would handle the loads, but he had a hard time finding parts for the military version when it did break. (Apparently the military required different electrical and driveline parts than the civision version.) Of course, his ranch roads are probably Rock Crawling trails now. I guess he was ahead of his time, he just didn't know he was supposed to be having FUN driving those roads. Shimmy1, geomat would probably have been a good idea. I've never seen it used around here though, excess rock is usually the problem we have. The lot was sure soft today! If it wasn't covered in gravel I would have been playing Tow Truck driver with a FWD tractor. It only gets like this occasionally and wouldn't be feasible to put down mat. We have plenty of tractors available to tow trucks with (gently, of course). I don't know how the troops managed to fight ww2 in northern Europe. It got down to -12 here last week and it was a pain with modern equipment. They were tough, adaptable, and ingenious I guess. Mainly, just plain Tough.

  23. #23RZucker2018-01-22 20:43

    The "narrow powerband" statement about Detroit 2 strokes is a myth propagated by engineers using undersized engines in trucks and equipment. I've run graders with a 3-71 that should have been equipped with a 6-71. Displacement is the key to avoiding tha narrow powerband thing. I've driven lowboy trucks with 12V71's that could eat 400HP 855 Cummins engines (same displacement with a turbo) and had more torque when you let out the clutch. Yeah they drank a bit more fuel, and were noisy... but if things were specced right they did the job well. The Euclid had a manual powershift transmission so all was up to the driver, no different from any stick shift truck. It even had jakes for steep grades. And yes I was a Detroit guy for 40+ years.

  24. #24Willie B2018-01-22 21:10

    M52 was a predecessor to Power Wagon. It had different axles, a one speed transfer case , and was rated as a 3/4 ton. Power Wagon was a heavier frame, by 1956 the 9500 GVW version was available with double layer frame. The Power Wagon had four spider gears in the differentials, a two speed transfer case, was a bit wider in the axles, and pickup versions had a 50" x 9' bed. M52 was a very wide box, as wide as the tires. Some had troop seats along both sides.

  25. #25td25c2018-01-22 21:45

    Well said RZ ..... Preach it Brother !

  26. #26Truck Shop2018-01-22 22:06

    I think Detroit's are responsible for more twisted drive lines on clutch release than any other engine. Truck Shop

  27. #27hillbillywrench2018-01-22 22:27

    Well, it turns out that you CAN teach a hillbilly something. You just have to use little words. Haha. Thanks for the info, RZucker. Practical experience always trumps theory. I had always figured that the narrow power band thing was due to the tuning of the intake system/cylinder ports for a specific rpm, as seen in the really small two strokes. I guess it's just another Ford vs Chevy vs dodge thing. About fifteen years ago there was a local silage truck running a 6-71. We could hear that thing for miles running down the backroads. We had worked with the kid that was driving it at the time. We had named him Hotrod because he ran whatever equipment he was on wide open, all the time. Then he dissappeared when it broke. I was working with an older gentleman one day and said "Hotrod is going to blow that old thing all to pieces pretty soon." He said "That there is a perfect match, that old detroit aint't happy unless it's flat-out against the governor and Hotrod ain't happy unless his foot is flat-out on the floor. That's the One engine that he can't tear up! I hope he stays in that truck and Off our stuff!" I remember reading about my Grandad fighting with the ignition and electrical system on his m52. I think it was 24v and nobody local had parts. I have an op/repair manual for early fifties 2 1\2 ton 6x6. They had quite an electrical system and had extra components to suppress radio interference added to almost every subsystem.

  28. #28RZucker2018-01-22 23:05

    Those 12V71's could do it with a 10x4. I never did, but may have changed the u joint alignment here or there.

  29. #29Willie B2018-01-23 07:09

    Yeah, most all military systems of WWII and the post war years had 24 volt water proof ignition systems. I can't say how well they worked, but it couldn't be worse than the civilian non waterproof ones. I remember a 1965 Jeep CJ5 that would quit if you hit a puddle. Had to get out, often in rain, and dry the distributor with a cloth.

  30. #30hillbillywrench2018-01-23 18:29

    The fact that detroit two strokes are still out there working every day is an example of ww2 tech that lasted. Some armies went into ww2 with horse drawn artillery. By 1945 they were using jet aircraft, long range rockets, compound turbos, and accurate radar. Willie B, I walked a lot of miles because of a vehicle like that. Damp weather was enough to kill it and we never had any luck drying it out. The first dry day it would start right up. The boss didn't seem too worried about it until he got stranded three miles down the road, in the rain.

  31. #31old-iron-habit2018-01-23 20:07

    Well, it was 8 degrees Fahrenheit here this morning. I went to the woods, gave the old Detroit in the grapple skidder a shot of ether, hit the starter button, and it started right up in 5 to 6 revolutions. It loped for 30 seconds and then settled down to a smooth idle. Never to concerned about pre-heating down to about zero. Oh, did I mention its 41 years old.

  32. #32td25c2018-01-23 21:31

    I pulled in to a jobsite last year about this time in the 1969 Grove crane ( Detroit's up & down ) to set some AC / heat units on top of a new building . Road going up to the site was a mess with deep ruts from freezing & thawing . Went over to the General Contractor who was on site & asked him if he could grade the road with his Cat D3 so we could crawl the Grove in to position . He said sure , no problem . After a few minutes he came walking back with a sad face ........... Looked at me & asked .. " Ahhh , do you have any either in the cab ? " " Sure do bro " ! ...... "Just keep that either can as we got plenty more back at the shop" . Little snort & the cat fired up .

  33. #33td25c2018-01-24 21:17

    old - iron , Do you use a lighter oil in the winter time on the skidder engine ? SAE 30 oil would be pretty stiff when the ice on the lake is 3 foot thick .

  34. #34old-iron-habit2018-01-25 23:18

    I use straight 30 most of the year. In cold weather I use a multi weight 10W40. Have never had any oil usage issues with multi weight in cooler weather. It works for me and for a number of other folks running the old Detroits.

  35. #35Willie B2018-01-31 19:38

    I have a few old military manuals from the 1950s. They state that no oil is ever too thin. The harm of too thin an oil is rapid consumption. While an engine has multiple points needing lubrication, it may not get everywhere it is needed if pressure, and volume aren't adequate. Stiff oil might not make it to all the remote places, light oil will. If there is foreign matter somewhere, light oil will flush it to the filter, thick oil won't. I use 10W-30 except for very hot summer weather

  36. #36RZucker2018-01-31 20:38

    Do those manuals pertain to the old 2 stroke Detroit Diesels? Those of us that really know the old critters Use 30 WT in cold weather and 40WT in hot weather. Usually Delo 100 Chevron for me. Those engines do not like a multi weight oil, that leads to gummed up piston rings and excessive oil consumption. I had a customer that was running 15/40 in a pair of twin engine scrapers with 12V71 turbo engines that were burning 1.5-2.5 gallons of oil per engine per day. I finally convinced him to try the Delo 100 40wt... After a short period of 2 oil changes those engines were down to 2-4 quarts per day. Which is a good number for a 500HP+ Detroit. I believe 20wt is the lowest Detroit recommended in 2 strokes and that was for extreme low temps.

  37. #37Willie B2018-01-31 20:58

    They do not address Detroit, or any two cycle. My knowledge of two cycle is limited to small gasoline engines, therefore useless. What sets two cycle diesels apart from other diesels?

  38. #38RZucker2018-01-31 21:08

    I'm not even sure where to start there. The best I can do is to suggest doing some research on the 2 stroke Detroit Diesel. The oil issues as explained to me by several Service managers and sales reps, is that the Detroits do what's known as "molecular shearing" to multi weight oils leading to stuck compression rings and whatnot. All I really know is that those guys are right.

  39. #39Willie B2018-01-31 21:29

    What I know about Detroit is all about sound. Any engine that sounds like that generates gobs of power, and shreds itself quickly when something isn't right.

  40. #40Birken Vogt2018-01-31 22:14

    I think the problem was related to the rings crossing the intake ports and chopping the longer oil viscosity improver molecules up. As for the powerband, it was not due to any intake/exhaust tuning but the simple fact that the standard no-extra-cost fuel injection system was only a min-max governor. No torque rise at all. It simply injected x amount of fuel per stroke no matter what the RPM. Therefore the way to get up the hill fastest was to run at the highest RPM so that you had the most fuel injection events per minute. Some DD engines had tailored torque, that was an extra option governor with more advance fuel control so that it behaved more like a Cummins to the way I understand it, but I never saw one, however I did drive a DDEC version and it also had good torque rise down to 1400 RPM, not necessary to rev that one out at all.

  41. #41td25c2018-01-31 22:22

    Probably something to that in cold weather ....... Better off to have good flow of lube going everywhere in the engine and an easy crank in sub zero temps .

  42. #42td25c2018-01-31 22:42

    Oh Yeah ...... Detroit diesels ....... Drive them like a small block Chevy & put something slick in the crankcase . The fellers that built the Detroit diesel also built the small block chevy ..... They aint temperamental engines as many would think ....

  43. #43RZucker2018-01-31 22:58

    The rings crossing the air ports, that's it. Now I remember that. Tailor Torque was used on the 8V-92 "Fuel squeezer" engines. PITA to set, it used 2 Belleville washers on the governor capsule that would compress when the engine was lugged, 1300 rpm was the low point before a downshift or it didn't work right, a 9 spd seemed to be the best transmission choice with them. They used huge injectors to gain that low end torque at low rpms. Detroit called it "constant horsepower" with dropping rpm. I do know if you replaced the governor capsule with a standard limiting speed type, that "Fuel squeezer" turned into a 500HP "Fuel eater"[/QUOTE]

  44. #44RZucker2018-01-31 23:06

    I've seen way too many running 71s that would be classed as 3 legged dogs still doing their jobs every day. I really doubt there is a tougher engine out there.

  45. #45td25c2018-01-31 23:22

    It's a hard call RZ .... 71 series Detroit up against a small block chevy ....... Two awesome engines ! Small block Chevy cheating using a 6 - 71 blower on top . LOL !

  46. #46ol'stonebreaker2018-01-31 23:39

    Since I'm now an old timer I'll say the old timers told me when a Detroit quit leaking oil it was about to blow. Mike

  47. #47RZucker2018-01-31 23:52

    Small block Chevy's didn't have air box drains...

  48. #48Birken Vogt2018-02-01 00:21

    My impression was that in those days the 2 cycle Detroit was the low cost "base option" if you will and if you wanted to be cool you bought a Cummins or Cat instead. Correct me if I'm wrong. They were already starting to get old when I started. We were not so nostalgic about them then as we are now.

  49. #49DMiller2018-02-01 07:13

    I remember the 'Shear' notations when going to DD Schools in the 80's, the 92s were allowed the multi weight oils but they almost forbid them in the 71 and 53 series, every 110 I worked on only got 40wt straight wt. Oil rings on the DDs were at the base of the skirt below the wrist pins with three compression rings above and loaded tin seals on the wrist pin bosses for air box sealing. If memory serves(hasn't much lately of note!) the use of multi weight oils allowed infiltration of the lube into the air box thus into the combustion chambers leading to higher consumption, not certain why the 92's were less apt to do that. As such the old DDs were seriously NASTY about carbon deposit in the oil, that stuff would stain a black t-shirt, Mack was almost as bad.

  50. #50Truck Shop2018-02-01 07:52

    As I have said on here before George Romminger an old trucker that ran nothing but Detroit's in his trucks never changed oil just the filters. He would get 800,000 out of an engine. The inside of one was like ink. And he ran nothing but 30 or 40 wt. Truck Shop

  51. #51hillbillywrench2018-02-01 20:26

    There’s a local truck that gets fired up a couple times a summer. Jimmy with a 318? DD. It’s the last thing pulled at the local truck/tractor pulls. It has a propane line plumbed into the intake for a little more “juice” and the governor has been “adjusted”. It makes a good Grand Finale! My daughter likes to see it pull so I get to stay for the whole show without having to listen to any “daddy, can we leave early?” questions. The guy that owns it has an Ag salvage yard. A buddy of mine went there to look for some parts one day. He took his grandsons with him. He was in the office trying to locate parts and realized his grandkids were missing. The owner had taken them out in the back lot, fired up an ancient D9, and was taking them for a ride (over some junk cars). They sure were having FUN crushing cars. Too bad it wasn’t a Euclid with twin 6-71’s! Put a hillbilly in a junkyard and watch the fun!

  52. #52RZucker2018-02-01 20:27

    George wasn't the only one doing that. In the early 80's PNW Bell (phone company) was doing the same with their gasoline fleet and still getting good engine life. I think Consolidated Freightlines was doing the same with their 6V92s near the end.

  53. #53Truck Shop2018-02-01 20:36

    I think Consolidated was doing that out of desperation. Just like Parker Refrigerated Truck Lines near the end. Truck Shop

  54. #54RZucker2018-02-01 20:44

    You may be right. But I did hear that story from a DD rep in the early 80s.

  55. #55hillbillywrench2018-02-01 21:06

    I had a neighbor one time that would get waste oil when his buddies changed their oil and that’s what he poured in his pickup. He never changed the oil, just added some every day. Never changed the filter either. Then complained cause he had to do engine swaps all the time! LOL.

  56. #56RZucker2018-02-02 19:07

    I think you pretty much nailed it on the oil consumption issue. I don't remember multi vis being permitted in 92's, I always gave them the same treatment as the other 2 strokes. Maybe the oil rings were redesigned? I do know that after installing rings on 53's and 71's my fingertips were just shredded. 92's didn't seem to do that.

  57. #57DMiller2018-02-02 19:41

    Ain't that the truth on the rings, sharp like razors on the ends. 71s had multi-piece oil control rings, didn't the 92s go with one large cast iron twin lip and a spring tensioner? Or am I thinking backwards, 71s having the big iron ring?

  58. #58Willie B2018-02-02 20:01

    My son met a man 8 years ago. He was deeply impressed that this man ran an under powered antique tractor competing formidably in antique tractor pull competitions. When I met this man, I learned that over 60 years, we had been in the same place at the same time hundreds of times, but never met. A couple years ago he said he'd bought a tractor. It is an oliver with Detroit Diesel. These tractors are stock. They get modified with injectors, pistons, cam shafts, and, if originally equipped with blowers, bigger blowers. He went from mild mannered, get all you can before tires slip, to madman on a Detroit. These days it's front wheels in the air, black smoke scarry! Tractor pulls are down to 1 of three regulars will win. Dave has had some hip problems. This year his hip is fixed. I expect the winner to be more predictable. Willie

  59. #59RZucker2018-02-02 20:54

    Nope, 71's used 2 oil rings. one chrome and one black, I don't remember which order they went in. Been a while but I think you're right about the 92 oil ring.

  60. #60mitch5042018-02-02 21:57

    Willie, all Detroit 2-strokes, (which is all DDs before the late '80s) used blowers. They won't run without them.

  61. #61RZucker2018-02-02 22:33

    I think he mentioned larger blowers on the puller engines. ?

  62. #62mitch5042018-02-02 22:45

    yeah, he said they put blowers on them, and if they had factory blowers they put larger ones on. I was just pointing out they all had factory ones. (just continuing the DD education of Willie B...)

  63. #63DMiller2018-02-03 08:20

    I'm a thinking the black one was the lower, been wrong before but that brain cell DID fire this morning! Black being a wear-in surface and shiny was chromed for friction relief, it followed the black sacrificial Razor down the bore on less oil.

  64. #64John C.2018-02-03 19:53

    The blower issue could just be semantics. Detroit called the engines without a turbo charger a normally aspirated engine. I have heard the engines with turbos called turbo super charged.

  65. #65old-iron-habit2018-02-03 22:12

    The Detroit blowers were not superchargers. They boosted the volume of air and helped scavenge the cylinders while introducing more air but they operated at very little pressure. There is a thread on here somewhere that has the actual numbers. Detroit blowers became a super charger only when they were geared way up in rotational speed as when transplanted on top of a gas engine.

  66. #66John C.2018-02-03 22:48

    The turbo chargers were at times referred to as turbo super chargers. It's just a name.

  67. #67RZucker2018-02-03 23:50

    This is correct. A 2 stroke Detroit without a blower would choke on it's own exhaust and quit running. Most of my experience has been with 71 V engines and they did have 3 different blower drive ratios, The highest speed did have a small supercharge effect that cut down on the black smoke when using larger injectors with standard cam timing. IIRC, airbox pressures vary from 1.5 to 5 psi depending on the number of cylinders and drive ratio of the blower. Now we can add the turbos to the mix.

  68. #68hillbillywrench2018-02-04 23:06

    If you look at a small, single cylinder, gas 2-stroke, when the piston travels up (toward the head, after passing the intake port) it's creating a larger air-space in the crankcase. This pulls a vacuum and sucks air (and fuel/oil mix) from the carburetor thru the reed valves into the crankcase. As the piston travels back down (power portion of the stroke) it's decreasing the crankcase volume, closing the reed valve, and pressurizing the air/fuel mix. When the piston clears the intake ports the pressurized mix flows into the cylinder above the piston. With a multi-cylinder engine, either you isolate each piston/cylinder (some outboard boat engines did) or you pressurize the entire crankcase (detroit used a roots blower). I guess detroit could have added reed valves and eliminated the blower on the 1-71 if they had wanted to?? But only on that engine. The roots blower (positive displacement pump) will create enough pressure at starting rpm to get the engine to fire, but pumps air volume at a set ratio to engine rpm (determined by blower gearing). It doesn't "build" boost like a turbo. Didn't detroit build a few models (92 series?) that bypassed the blower after the turbo started building enough boost to maintain pressure in the air box? More power/better fuel economy without the blower drag? I think that's how it works? I'm often wrong, and please correct me if I am! I forgot what an ego was years ago, lol.

  69. #69hillbillywrench2018-02-05 11:08

    I realized this morning that I didn't explain that the detroit used an air box between the blower and cylinder ports. This isolated the crankcase from the intake charge so a standard oil-lube system could be used instead of oil-mix like a gas 2-stroke. I believe this box was the source of most of the "green leaker" oil drip comments. As the piston rings passed the intake ports it allowed a small amount of oil to enter the airbox. This oil had to be drained off through a small weep hole or it could build up and become a fuel source. Oil (fuel) + air going into the cylinder would run the engine without any throttle control creating a runaway! My dad found a nail somebody had jammed in the weep hole on his 3-71 powered dozer to "stop that oil drip". That engine behaved much better after the air box drain was cleared!

  70. #70Birken Vogt2018-02-05 11:11

    Yes they did, almost forgot about that. I believe some 92s had it, others didn't, all DDEC 92s did I was told. In the larger railroad sized units they had/have centrifugal blowers driven by the engine at low speeds from an overrunning clutch but there is also an exhaust driven turbine so when it loads up the exhaust drives it faster than the engine. Probably possible because it is larger with lower RPM than trucks.

  71. #71DMiller2018-02-05 13:52

    That would be a EMD as they use in Tows and Railroad engines, wild drive mechanism on those blowers. Want to see someone run REAL fast, don't test the wrist pin seals on a 6L71 and have one leak. Saw a nitwit do that, always 'Trusted' his installs and failed to seat them to a vacuum test, one failed miserably. That engine ran for almost 6 hours before gobbled enough engine oil to fail dramatically. Four bad rods, full liner/piston sets, reground 10/10 crank and new cam. Gear train SEEMED to be alright so they did reuse that. For an out of frame it cost the company 2 1/2 times what they could charge for it.

  72. #72old-iron-habit2018-02-05 20:13

    I would love to see video of that mess happening

  73. #73RZucker2018-02-05 20:36

    I have always used the suction cup test. I did see the remains of a 4-71 that had the same issue. The block ended up with a couple of holes in it that really didn't belong there. The new paint was pretty.

  74. #74RZucker2018-02-05 20:46

    Air box drains... I had a GMC 9500 with an 8V-71 that had a 3-4 gallon catch tank for the drains, I usually drained it twice a week, It made for good relations with the grain elevators that did not like to see oil on their concrete. One thing a guy want's to do is check for airflow from those tubes at every oil change, I've seen quite a few plug internally where the little weatherhead fitting screws into the block. Usually a chunk of top piston ring. It's funny how much fire ring they can lose and still run strong.

  75. #75John C.2018-02-05 22:21

    The blower box drains on a good engine put out very little oil. The ones I did see were the leaks on the end plates and at the oil pan corners. We staked the plates to hold the gaskets in place, glued them on one side or the other and finally went to a thin bead of silicone which seemed to hold them longer. Probably the worst offenders were the engines that sat idling all the time. They start the drips and forever marked their territory after that.

  76. #76DMiller2018-02-06 06:48

    If draining from those tubes in any volume is BAAADD JuJu!!