I maybe buying an international s1900 dump truck. I'm looking for some words of wisdom from owners of this truck or mechanics that have worked on them. Truck starts and runs fine, the clutch is up pretty high, I don't know if needs replaced or adjusted. There is something leaking in the power booster unit at the master cylinder. I found something else, maybe a freeze plug leaking on the side of the block. I believe the engine is a dt466. Any advice about known issues on this truck or engine? Owner told me the 2 speed rear needs to be shifted when sitting still, not sure what to think about that. thanks
The visor or the dash should have shifting info for the 2 speed rear, all the medium duty trucks I've driven were shifting them all the time, the heavy duty trucks were just like a low low that you only used off road. Dt466 is a little low power but often considered a extremely reliable engine. Most are heui so oil maintenance is paramount. I wish I knew more on clutches but there should be some free play on both ends and have a couple inches of engagement.
Would a be a mechanical 466 in a s model. Max would be 210 horse from the factory most where 180 or so. Don't be in a hurry you'll be disappointed Play with the rear unless there's something wrong you can shift on the go like stated above there should be a instructions sticker. If it makes loud chunks or grindy noises you did it wrong.
And if you want to babysit a pyrometer you can turn the injector pump up (MW Bosch) with few basic tools. Only the DT466E is HEUI injector, since it's a S model I wouldn't worry on that the oil maintainence must be paramount, it's a mechanical engine. Could be the oil cooler leaking if it's on the passenger side of the coolant leaking.
As stated above, they’re a little shy on power 180 hp - 210hp. But easily woken up.. They put so many different fuel systems in those trucks, I would have to have pump mdl to help u “throw some coal”.. They put a Bosch MW pump, a Bosch P pump made in Brazil, and an American Bosch (AMBAC) Mdl 100 pump.. Good luck w your purchase..
The clutch may be one of those Lipe? units that are adjusted up inside with a spanner wrench
What year? can you post the last eight of the VIN. Pictures would help. Engine and rear diff.
The fact your in Indiana, Look the cab over real good those cabs had a issue with rust around windshield gasket which dripped water on the electrics, check the floor boards and back of cab at the bottom. Depending on year and what steer axle it has some are tough to find parts for. Been down that road with a customer-the port district here has two.
I don't have the vin or pics right now, I thought the tag said the year was 88 but looking at the wiki article on these trucks the s1900 wasn't made that year. I'll need to look again.
Tag says 6 of 88, last 8 on vin looks like kh621898
I didn't see any leaks around the windshield. The floor of the drivers side was absolutly soaked with oil of some kind. I'm not sure if one of the oil jugs in the cab has been leaking inside or what.
I got a picture of the clutch setup, I'm not 100% sure what is going on here.
Single disc or twin disc pull type internal adjusted stamped steel cover 14" clutch, common.
The inj pump is a: Robert Bosch MW. Very reliable as long as you change the fuel filters and drain the h2o separator..(if equipped) If I’m not mistaken, that’s set up for 180hp..?? Lots of room for improvement..
Is there a place where I can adjust the engagement point of the clutch? I mean the pedal is almost all the way up before the truck starts to move. Is the part with the bleeder screw in the picture the throw out bearing?
That's a grease fitting, a link to give you some idea-link is in first post. Clutch trouble shooting Can the moderators or would the moderators put this link up with a sticky, so people with clutch questions can go to this link. It has the best information there is and can answer any question regarding 14" and 15" pull type clutches... HeavyEquipmentForums
The link in that post to the clutch guide is broken, can you upload a copy? I searched for a bit and cannot locate that guide online anywhere.
Looks like I'll be buying this truck in the next few days, any other feedback? thanks
https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/eaton/products/clutches-brakes/clutch-installation-kits/eaton-hd-manual-adjust-clutch-clmt1351.pdf
Thank you sir! I have a lot of experience with automotive clutches and have never seen anything like that.
Ok, so I reviewed the info that member Truck Shop kindly posted for me and today I made an adjustment. I removed the clamp and tightened the larger center bolt a turn or 2 and it didn't seem to make any difference. So I'm thinking maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I didn't adjust it far enough or maybe the clutch is worn out. I'd like the clutch to start grabbing a little closer to the bottom most travel of the pedal. As it sits now its not engaging until the pedal is nearly at the top of its travel. This is how I adjust them on a car or light truck, maybe its not even possible on a larger truck like this? Its ok if this is the case, just somebody please say.. hey dummy, it don't work like that. hahaha I'm kind of afraid that I'm going to load the thing with 5 tons of rock and not be able to get it to move. Thanks for the help.
Adjust your pedal linkage so the tangs on the clutch fork in your photo have a 1/8" gap to throwout bearing and see what you have. The clutch setup you have does not use a clutch brake. Which direction did you turn the internal adjustment CC or CW?
CW, I'll work on the linkage tomorrow. I've noticed its pretty sloppy.