I am considering buying a 1982 TD14c. The folks selling it do not know wht engine it has and I have not had a chance to go look yet. The machine is a few hundred miles away. Can anyone tell me what engine it is likely to have? Thanks
You must mean a TD15-C. That would be correct for the 70's and 80's. The 14's were from the 40's and 50's. The 15-C would have a DT-466 IH engine, a good engine as long as it's kept up. They need to have coolant filters changed regularly as they need the additive for the wet sleeves. I had a 1973 15-C that I bought in 1994 and ran it a lot until 2006. That machine never had the filter so it never did get any more of the additive and at the time I didn't know that they needed it. Never had a problem with it. People say that the latter models with the in line injection pump are better, but I never had trouble with the older rotary pump. I have a very good 1978 15-C now but hardly ever use it as I'm in a different type of work now and seldom have a need for it. FWD FWD
Oops! I did mean 15c. thanks for the response. Would a 1982 have the DT-466? I thought I read an older post on this forum stating that some of those dozers had a cummins engine but I am not sure if that was the 15c. Do you know what the hourse power of a DT-466 is? Thanks
It was around 87 that they went to Cummins engines in the 15-C. The Cummins is a 505 cubic inch or 8.3 litre engine. The DT 466 in the 15-C is 140 horsepower. FWD
I've also looked at a couple of these dozer's TD15C's and have a question regarding a rumor I've heard twice. Has anyone known of one of them having the rearend case splitting open? I'm wondering if this is BS or did they actually have an issue with this. I'm shopping for my first dozer and trying to avoid buying a mistake. Thanks for any input's you'd care to share. Dan
The ih td-15c was a good dozer. I know lots of oil field and pipeline crews ran them, If I needed a dozer of that size I'd probably buy one. Some said that they had a little more hp than the d6 of the same time frame.
Thanks The machine sold before the auction so I guess I will keep looking! I think it would have been a good machine for what I need.