Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ironplanet Auction

Shimmy1 ยท 2018-07-09 21:41

I'm looking at a machine on the Thursday, July 14 sale. Anyone ever buy on an Ironplanet auction? Just wondering how long the auction lasts. It starts at 12:00 pm.

Replies16
  1. #1crane operator2018-07-09 21:58

    The auction for any particular item can take quite a while. They use extended bidding, anytime anyone bids in the last 2 minutes, it automatically gets extended another two minutes. If two guys are sitting at the computer, each trying to outlast the other, I've had it last 20 minutes past the "closing" time. I have bought items that no one else bid on and it ended right on time. Do they have a closing time for your item? I have bought two cranes through iron planet. Two army surplus trucks, and a tandem flatbed winch truck. Also some small stuff. I've bought stuff before they were owned by ritchie bros, and after. I think each item has a closing time for sure once the auction starts.

  2. #2Oliver1822018-07-09 22:06

    Might keep an eye on it that day or call for exact start time. Have had issues in past with time zones on my app with them throwing things off

  3. #3d9gdon2018-07-09 23:44

    Yeah I've bought a D8R off there that was 1000 miles away with their Iron Clad assurance and it was in even better shape than I thought when I got it delivered. I have probably bought close to a hundred items off there and have never had a problem. I like it better than a live auction because it's so handy...maybe too handy! On the smaller items I usually just place a bid and if I get it, great and if not then I didn't waste a bunch of time. I have even been successful bidding in the field on my Iphone. Yeah, I like it if you can't tell. Good luck on your bid.

  4. #4ianjoub2018-07-10 07:49

    I bought a skid steer from them with 2900 hrs on it. After I purchased, I was searching the net with the serial number to try to get some exact specs. I found that it sold 9 months earlier at another Ritchie Bros. auction as a salvage unit with 6900 hrs on it.

  5. #5CM19952018-07-10 08:18

    I've bought several small items on Ironplanet and the items were as described and payment was easy. Like with any auction there are risks involved with buying a used piece of equipment, especially when you can't put your hands on it.

  6. #6kshansen2018-07-10 11:46

    Never tried to buy anything from/through Iron Planet but did have a slight bit of experience with the company I worked for selling through them. None of our equipment was sold with the "Iron Clad assurance", but was "inspected so to speak" by them before being posted. I would take very close note of the wording of the inspection reports. When they say machine started and moved in gear and hydraulics functioned they do not run to get it warm or put any kind of load on any of the systems. Just cold start, steer right and left move a few feet forwards and backwards in gears raise and lower boom with no load. One particular machine we were selling was a Cat 988. this machine was one we had swapped the rear axle into another machine due to a broken pinion gear shaft the rear end with the broken pinion was "stuck" under this one just to be able to move it around on it's own power. We even had to make up a piece of flat stock to hold the rear yoke on the transmission in as this model had the slip joint as part of the yoke on the transmission. I was told to park the machine out by the shop and leave the keys in it for the inspector to come latter one day. A few days latter I went on IP's web site and took a look at the various machines we had posted there. Saw several pictures of that 988 but no mention of any serious problems. If anyone here bought that machine I kind of feel bad but I did not do the write-up on it. If someone had asked questions about it I would have just hinted they look it over from top to bottom, hint hint! I forget what it sold for but seem to remember that 988 went for less money than some of the 966C's that had obvious missing parts in the pictures. The 966 size machines seem to go for a high premium as do the medium size dozers like D6 and D7's or at least that was the case a few years back.

  7. #7ianjoub2018-07-11 07:41

    When a unit is large enough to need a low boy to haul, price goes down.

  8. #8Shimmy12018-07-11 23:40

    Thanks for the replies, guys. Probably not too often an Ironplanet item a guy is looking at is in his backyard, lol. There isn't an end time posted yet, so I'll have to start watching it a few hours before the start time. How long is the standard length usually? Fifteen minutes, 30, an hour? I'm going to have to drive out of where I'm working to get internet, and I hope I don't have to screw around too long.

  9. #9Vetech632018-07-12 06:51

    I know a company here in Tulsa that buys a lot of auction equipment to fix up and resell. They get it broke off in them 50% of the time.

  10. #10CM19952018-07-12 08:16

    Shimmy give yourself an hour to be safe.

  11. #11Shimmy12018-07-12 21:34

    Auction lasted 3 minutes. No other bids besides mine.

  12. #12d9gdon2018-07-13 08:21

    Was it the D7G with the 435 scraper? I would have bought it except for the 1700 miles between us.

  13. #13Shimmy12018-07-13 08:54

    Yes. It was like 12 miles from me.

  14. #14d9gdon2018-07-13 22:05

    You got a great deal. I was sitting there with my hand on the trigger, but 1700 miles is so hard to overcome. That scraper is the best one I've ever seen. I would guess that the pair was bought new together. The U/C was weak on the D7G but damn, what a straight machine. Factory A/C! Next week, it will not get below 101 degrees here. I could have that thing blowing snowballs. Glad you got it...I think you got a great deal. I can assure you that a deal like that doesn't happen down here. Whats your impression of Iron Planet now?

  15. #15Shimmy12018-07-13 22:50

    Pizzed off that they charge a guy $1000 on a sale. Otherwise, I'm glad you decided to pass it up.

  16. #16d9gdon2018-07-14 09:44

    Well, they're in business like you are. Gah, you stole the rig anyway...they should've charged you more after that gift.