Looking at getting a hoe for taking down bigger trees that the d7e cant get out without digging around them. Borrowed a excavator before and it can take down a bigger tree in way less time then digging all around them and building a ramp like with the dozer. Would have the dozer there to move them once on the ground. Would a 160 sized machine do this in a timely manner or should i be looking at a 200 or bigger machine? WOuld like a thumb on machine either way. Was looking at getting a narrower bucket for it since dont need to move all that dirt just need to cut the roots. Any advice? thanks
I doubt you'd be happy with a 160. You'd still have to dig around alot of trees and they're just not heavy enough to push much over IMO. I have a customer that bought a 315 cat, told him it'd be too small. Now he's wishing he would've gone bigger. Lol
I have a 160 Hitachi that I have used a lot for tree clearing and grubbing stumps. Sure a 200 would be better and faster but on a 5 acre or less site I think the 160 is adequate. If you are on larger sites then the 200 would be faster. But we have taken down some big Oaks and poplars with the 160 and were not spending all day doing it.
Thanks for the input guys. It seems like the good used 200 are selling like hotcakes. Looks like a 160 might work but be on the small end.
I wouldn't waste time with a 160 size machine, sure it will do the job but a 200 is what you want if efficiency and ease of work required is important to you.. My .02....
I would go with the 200 class over the 160 should be about same in cost.
Ive got a 9020B case and it does just fine. I cleared 9 acres of trees 2 winters ago and it worked fine. I think it is comparable a 315Cat or 160Deere. I made a thumb for it out of some 3quarter inch plate and some old blue jet subsoiler shanks so i can curl the bucket back out if the way and drop the thumb and have a ripper
kinda depends on the type and size of trees you are working with ......24" trees with tap roots will need something larger......heck i have pulled 10" tap root trees out with my 416c with a thumb in wet weather
Bigger is always better!
Will you need to move the exc. often? How do you currently move the D7? The biggest factor in deciding between a 160/315 and a 200/320 size is the mobilization cost. The bigger machine requires more effort to move and thus more money per move than a 160/315 that is legal width and can be towed on a heavy tag behind a dump. I had the same issue back last fall in deciding which size exc. to buy. Decided on a 321 instead of a 315 for the power and production, glad I did. Currently I pay to have my equipment moved as I don't nor really want the headaches of owing a lowboy. So I was willing to pay the extra cost to move it in trade for the higher production. Owned 2 315's in the past and they are a great sized machine, moved them on a tag behind a dump. The sweetest machine I have owned was a 325DL, big enough for production but small enough for most jobs. Good balance and power. Depending on age, hours, condition, etc - the larger hoes can be bought for the same price as the smaller ones. Pound for pound they can be a better value, depending on your situation.
I got a 35 ton lowboy so moving isnt an issue. Decided to look for a 200 machine. thanks
Yair . . . Oliver182 . If "taking down trees" is your main reason for needing an excavator why don't you just build a tree spear for the D7? I prefer this over the blade style, it doesn't interfere with dirt work and its handy to help stop stuff coming back over the blade when stacking brush . . . and of course it goes without saying you have three hook rippers? Cheers.
No rippers. The old 7e is as old as time. I can see how that would help by getting higher up on the tree but we have some big ones that are hard to get out sometimes. Neighbor has a 8R and encounters some of trees he has to dig around. Not everyone but some. Also the hoe would be use for ditch digging too. Thanks for the advice though.
Yair . . . Gotcha mate. When used properly quite part from getting higher on the tree a spear that "bites" into the trunk develops extra traction and lift as the tractor tries to walk under it if you get my meaning . . . sort of like when a smallish tree can stop you with a direct push from the blade but, if you were to hit it at the same height with blade lifting it will pop right out . . . easier on the tractor too. You would find rippers invaluable for busting roots. Cheers.
I started out with a 210 and dropped back to a 160. I'm on my second 315 now. IMO a 200 class machine is just big enough to make you want a bigger machine. If I go back to a wider machine it will probably be something with some power like a 24 to 27 ton machine.