Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is any one else slow

BIGDAN315 ยท 2008-07-18 12:32

Unuauslly slow for this time of year for me. Was just wondering if any one else is feeling it to...:beatsme What are you doing to fill in? I for one just halled a load of scrap metal in just cleaning up around the shop. $ 300 a ton for long steel. Helps off set the cost of feul any ways,,:Banghead

Replies19
  1. #1DPete2008-07-18 12:43

    Slow here, I read in the California Builder Engineer flyer there are over 81,000 construction workers out of work here in Ca.

  2. #2humboldt deere2008-07-18 12:52

    Up here on the north coast Ca. there was absolutely no work last winter but all of a sudden I have enough work to last through till next year. Seams to be the story for everyone else around here to.

  3. #3stumpjumper832008-07-20 23:04

    A better question would be, "who is busy?"

  4. #4dayexco2008-07-21 08:05

    we're busier than pee wee herman at a double feature

  5. #5tonka2008-07-21 09:20

    well I'm now in the garbage business because it never stops..... no down time, no slow season, it's all got to go somewhere....

  6. #6smreed2008-07-21 11:15

    We are both slow and busy we are a manufacturer of attachments for mini excavators this year has been slow for us in small sales but our large bucket orders for dealers is still steady. So while part of our business has slacked of another part has picked up some.

  7. #7landrvrnut222008-07-21 13:50

    I am swamped. I am running one job, which will finish in September. Another job to start in September. Also just started a fraternity house that will wrap up in October, with 6 more right behind it. We just started plans for a $100mill project, and even more projects on the drawing board. We are getting some of the best prices right now from all the subs, because everyone is hungry for work.

  8. #8kamerad472008-07-21 17:01

    May be the better? is if your busy are get what you should be getting ? or less ? & are you getting paid? I know 4 guys that are busy BUT, there working for peanuts & other 2 that are waiting 4 months for $$$ One guy tells me owe $$ is better then no $$. I say owed $$ is no $$. I swear some guys are just brain dead!!!!

  9. #9stumpjumper832008-07-21 21:42

    I guess some companies are in debt up to their noses, and if they can work for peanuts to keep the bank from taking their digger back, that is what they do. Its a bad position to be in, but its better than loosing the means to do your business

  10. #10eRay2008-07-21 22:12

    Some of it may have to do with not wanting to lose good operators. Sometimes when things get slow you can work at a loss to keep from losing a good operator you will need when things pick back up.

  11. #11Dirtman20072008-07-21 22:40

    More work than we can do at the moment, just had to pull off one job so that we could go start and finish some that had been planned of a certain time. Phones still ringing...

  12. #12CascadeScaper2008-07-22 00:59

    Slow season here, although I know other parts of the US are in worse shape than we are here in WA. I'm going on my 6th week of being out of apprenticeship initial training and still haven't been sent out to a job. Typically all 50 of us sit on the out of work list for a couple weeks following training the training on a typical work year. I'm hearing right now there's only about 10 out of 50 of us out working 5 full weeks later. Not a good year at all. Hearing this winter will pick up and next spring is going to explode here in WA, I hope it does the same across the rest of the country, we need to get out of this rut.

  13. #13Dwan Hall2008-07-22 01:32

    Business up 32% or should I say income up 32% so far this year from last. Every year has been a steady increase for the last 10 years. When things seem slow I just look for something else to do. In the last 10 years I have been trying to ween myself from ditch work because I am getting to old to be down in the dirt. This year I have 1 utility (water, sewer, electricity, phone, cable) hookup job scheduled, the rest is above ground service related work.

  14. #14Reuben2008-07-22 08:06

    TO busy for me....I wish I could find another operator

  15. #15stretch2008-07-22 09:46

    You guys sure sound lucky...home building is slow, slow, slow! There are only two builders in the town of Coventry, CT that are taking out building permits this month, and luckily we're one of them. At least we have the apartment business to fall back on.

  16. #16EZ TRBO2008-07-22 19:26

    I myself have been going non stop, between keeping things moving for the 3 quarry crews as well as helping last week with the sand dredge crew. I have a bunch of quarries to do some touch up work on and some driveways, etc. I think the redi-mix has been down a lil bit but the dump trucks are busy as well. I do know one thing, the midwest never sees the huge ups and downs as the coast. I do know however that if the farmers are down everyone is down cause they are the majority of our business in a rural setting. Trbo

  17. #17EqmtRunr2008-07-22 19:31

    paving is slow this year. My longest week was 56hrs so far i was told in previous years they would work around 70hrs every week in the summer Theres even a rumor i heard about rationing paving oil to 50 tankers a week thats split between 3 branches of the company our branch usually uses about 50 a week

  18. #18tonka2008-07-22 20:23

    Glad to hear you guys are busy, not glad for those of you who arn't.....

  19. #19ohioduramax2008-07-22 22:36

    Im a first year apprentice. I havent gone out to work yet this year.