Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is everyone staying busy?

Palmer78 ยท 2013-09-30 22:03

This is a question for the contractors out there. Is work steady or slow, and do you have to basically underbid jobs in order to get work? I was wondering because it seems that every job I put a realistic price to ends up going to someone else. The only work I seem to get are the jobs I am underbidding.....not on purpose either.

Replies4
  1. #1monster762013-09-30 22:19

    its tough some times im busy as hell then i go a month twiddling my thumbs. as far as under bidding some times we have to the good thing is new home contruction is picking up so im getting more work at a reasonable wage

  2. #2LT-x72013-09-30 22:30

    I had a pretty good start to the summer but have been dead slow the last 2 months. I tend to not underbid work so I'm not sure if that would help. I try to live by the motto "I can stay home and go broke, no need to work to lose money". In my neck of the woods, between the state and county they have pretty much killed any chance of new construction picking up again. It simply cost to much to build between the permits, fees, and new ridicules building codes.

  3. #3stumpjumper832013-09-30 22:48

    Been a slow year for me as well. I attribute it to the marcellas shale work tapering off hard, which ripple effected me. But I'm adapting and moving into new areas to stay busy.

  4. #4bigrus2013-10-01 04:28

    It's a similar story here In these hard economic times, I find it's the 'mates of mates' (pals of pals) that the work is going to. Don't get caught subcontracting to those blokes as you'll end up with the "rough edge of the pineapple"