Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Rental Business

kentog ยท 2013-10-01 00:58

I am starting a new equipment rental business in North Dakota. I am working on what inventory I should start with, but have some questions: 1. Can I get wholesale pricing from either Cat or Deere? 2. I am probably going to go with either Cat or Deere. Is there a reason for one over the other? 3. My budget is about $500,000 to start, and will go higher after that. What equipment should I get? 4. Is there a place to get Cat and Deere pricing online? And, most importantly, what am I forgetting? Thanks in advance.

Replies2
  1. #1John C.2013-10-01 20:53

    No such thing as wholesale pricing to end users, only negotiated pricing. You used to be able to find an MSRP on some manufacturer's sites which would allow you to go through the option list and build an approximate dollar figure. You then got turned over to a dealer who would do further negotiations. I don't know if that is still available or not. Check both manufacturer's web sites. The best business deal you can get will usually determine which manufacturer your investment dollars will go to. What you need will depend on your market research of your area. There are some basic things like mini excavators and loader backhoes but how many of those to have on hand will be the subject of your research. The competition will also affect your choices. Lot of times you can make more money on small stuff like pumps, jumping jacks, concrete tools, chain saws and landscaping items. Good Luck!

  2. #2rustyshakelford2013-10-02 08:19

    I would think buying gently used equipment would allow you to get a few more pieces for the same money. Brett