Is it bad to run one new rear tire and one old bald one? Or like how bad? Theres probably 5 or 6 centimeters difference in the total diameter of the two rear tires. People are telling me the old one will skid and spin easier than the new one, creating more danger for a broken differential. I'd think it's more like when you run a different size tire on a 4x4 and it all starts to seize up. Regardless it sounds bad. It is a 4x4 backhoe. Mostly for logistical issues (the things are big) I only got one new tire yesterday and can't get another until day after tomorrow. Will I screw things up working for a day? Should I try to run it in 2wd moreso and less in 4wd? Or am I overthinking this as usual? Thanks!
How much are you running it loaded? or how far are you running it on pavement or hard packed surfaces? I'd be more worried about new front tires with worn rears with 4wd. Typically the fronts travel faster than the rears for stability and steering, so worn front and new rear might mess with the steering, but not put anymore stress on the drivetrain.
Overthinking. For a short time you'll be putting as much stress on the rear differential as being in a slight turn all day..
Thanks guys, one less thing to worry about tomorrow
You do realize of course, that by running one brand new tire and one worn out one, the chance of slicing right through the sidewall with a sharp rock or a piece of rebar, on the brand new one, increases to something approaching 100%...
Great! Something else to stress about. My machine had worn tires on the left side front AND rear. I punchured the rear one early on. I have two different brands with similar tread on the rear now. I have been running with a worn left front for several years. It does spin before the good tire when I push into a pile. I only operate in dirt but I might have to bring it further to the top of my to do list.
Finca, It is very normal for a tire with little or no tread to have less traction than a new tire, so yes it will spin first. I am not sure what machine you have, but if it is a mechanical locking rear, do not lock the wheels together and you should not break anything especially if you intend to purchase another in the near future. NH575E, I would not stress about it that much! If you are working in an off-road situation, it is not that big of a deal. The front differential is not lockable anyhow, so the front tires can run at slightly different speeds (I would not recommend doing this on-road, or for a distance, like miles). If you have 2 different size rear tires, and put the diff lock on, there could be trouble, again, especially in high traction areas, like on-road.
@Finca SDR I was worried for you as I remember pictures you shared working on the edges of sinkholes and stuff, but then you said you were getting a new 2nd tire in like a day. I don't know much about tires on these beasts but for your conditions I thought you were crazy for a second!
Ha ha it's summertime here now so conditions aren't that crazy. The sinkhole was a one off occurrence and very likely an Indian grave that had already been raided. Thanks!
The differential lock was disconnected when I got it, appears to be standard procedure with old hoes here. No parking brake, no differential lock, the cable to the boom lock is tied to something that's not the appropriate lever, diesel lift pump is like an electric aftermarket thing off a Hyundai, etc. It's like the style, apparently. Thanks!