Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is it possible to move dead cat279c?

svenb10 · 2025-11-09 18:41

Hi guys I need to tow my tracked cat 279c skid steer to a shop is it possible to freewheel it to winch up on a tow truck?

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2025-11-09 18:47

    It can only be dragged. There is no way to make it freewheel.

  2. #2davejo2025-11-11 13:20

    Can the final planetary be removed to freewheel it? Different brand drive perhaps but maybe applicable:

  3. #3Tyler d4c2025-11-11 14:58

    We always just unbolt the sprockets off the final and let it spin works fine aslong as you dont have a far tow (less then 100 feet or so all together)

  4. #4Tones2025-11-11 15:46

    X2. I've done this 2 times and each occasion dragged the machine for a mile on hill country because the fix was a shop job. Got that idea from the operator manual

  5. #5svenb102025-11-11 18:50

    Removed the sprocket bolts and it moves easy. Thanks fellas

  6. #6Tyler d4c2025-11-12 07:14

    I dont like to do it far it will wear a nark on the final where the sproket hits

  7. #7Tones2025-11-12 15:02

    Would you believe it only took the paint off the hub and besides it was the only option I had. Environmental concerns prohibited opening up the hub to remove the sungear. I was in a swamp when the hydraulic pumps fell off the engine on the last occasion. The engine ran good but nothing else was home.

  8. #8Tyler d4c2025-11-12 16:12

    I had one it probably wore a good 1/16 in it i wasnt involved in the tow but if i had far to go id lube it up with something tho in your instance that would probably been frowened apone

  9. #9Tones2025-11-12 18:20

    Another indication of the wear was later when fitting new sprockets the old ones were still quite tight on the hub spigots.