Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is it possible to “strip the gears” in an old loader with hydraulic transmission

dazedanconfused ยท 2014-02-25 17:46

So when I came to work the other day I was told I couldn't use an old loader because me and a Co worker had "stripped the gears". It's an old articulated loader with an automatic transmission. Is what she's saying even possible. When we ran it it was not going into drive or reverse very well it would take up or 10 seconds to go into gear

Replies4
  1. #1Deeretracks2014-02-25 17:55

    You can lose a bearing that supports a shaft and cause gear failure. Also, it's very possible the splines stripped out of the clutch disks.

  2. #2Delmer2014-02-25 19:32

    Maybe it POSSIBLE, but highly unlikely that gears are stripped and even more unlikely that YOU stripped the gears by improper use. Just going by what you said I'd bet 1,000 to 1 that the problem is something other than "stripped gears".

  3. #3mitch5042014-02-25 19:51

    Yeah, I'd have to agree w/ Delmer. I have seen a few toothless gears in my day, but I'd give it a 1% chance that's the problem. And, if you'd have broken gear teeth off, you would have heard it for sure. Much more likely to be a valve, pump, filter, maybe a clutch, or a gob of other things.

  4. #4lantraxco2014-02-26 23:09

    Automatics, or powershifts, don't shift gears, so they rarely strip gears. If it's slow to engage, then you have low flow, or low pressure,(usually both) bad seals, or worn out clutch packs. I've been blamed more than once for "blowing up" very expensive transmisions that only had 10,000 or 12,000 hours on them, how irresponsible of me! I'd ask sweetly if it was possibly because you hadn't received your company training in operating that particular piece of equipment and ask if the operator's manual is in the cab anywhere for you to study, as OSHA requires? But then I never really cared about getting fired, my lunch bucket had taillights in it in my younger days.