Hello, I have a quick question for anyone who has an answer! Say if I were to have on the job training/experiance or if someone were to go to a private operator school would they be able to take a skills test to get into a Union? Or would they have to start all over with an apprenticeship to get into the Union? If its possible to take a practical test to gain acceptance into a union, is there a set standard on hours in order to be considered for the test? Or are there just a few things you need to demonstrate with each machine to prove you are proficient? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you! :usa
Depends on where you are, what that locals requirements are.
in local 150, chicago/northern il, it depends on the job and if we can cover the job with someone in the hall. we do sell permits that allow you to buy a card after about 3000 hours, but there are tons of restrictions on them.
Every local is different. Out here, if you want to come in as a journeyman, you pay a bunch of dues to start out. I think it's around $1,000 or so. Then you go out to the grounds and prove yourself on 2 pieces of equipment. I believe that's how it works anyway.
Most locals I know of give practical tests like that for experienced people.(When they have work.) The only thing is, if the local you want to join is not expecting a lot of work they might not want to take new people till things pick up, you have to ask someone at the union hall only they would know if/when they are giving tests, and what the qualifications are. I don't know anything about private operating schools I don't think school alone without some field experience would be enough.