Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is the TD 14a worth anything but scrap?

kmickels ยท 2010-10-20 00:43

I got this dozer with the Property and know that it has a 10ft blade and slipping clutches on one side. It does run but doesn't start on it's own at the moment someone took the distributor apart before I got to it. I am willing to get it back to running if I can ever find a repair manual and the time but not if it's worthless. What do you think? Fix it or cut it up and scrap it? Either way I want to get a newer smaller machine.

Replies11
  1. #1John C.2010-10-20 01:03

    You might find a collector that needs parts. It's still only worth scrap value less the labor to cut and move it.

  2. #2td14steve2010-10-20 07:30

    Hi, You could try over on the Redpower site there might be some interest. There's a few guys there from the northwest with 14's . Wrong coast for me. Steve

  3. #3Buckethead2010-10-20 20:34

    It's worth at least scrap. To a collector it may be worth more-maybe a lot more. Redpower is a good site, also try HCEA.net.

  4. #4kmickels2010-10-20 21:55

    Thanks guys I will check out the sites mentioned, I'm sure I can scrap it easily enough but it takes time and that is another story all together.

  5. #5norite2010-10-21 05:44

    You'd be surprised. A farmer I knew got me to go look at one and check it out for him. Everything more or less worked but was pretty well worn out. I told him so and that it was only good for scrap and wouldn't be suitable to work for others. He figured it would run long enough to do what he wanted done on his farm, he bought it and the old thing did the work he wanted done. He sold it after and got most or all his money back. He had no interest in being in the dozer business, just wanted to get his work done and save some money.

  6. #6kmickels2010-10-21 13:07

    Actually that's not a bad point, if I'm going to scrap it anyways why not run it to the ground? It weighs the same dead or alive I supose if i can't sell it I should just runn it. Any idea if you can pull start this beast?

  7. #7Buckethead2010-10-21 19:27

    Pretty sure they were a direct drive machine you should be able to pull or push with another machine to start. Have you figured out why it's not starting?

  8. #8kmickels2010-10-22 01:03

    Yeah, the previous owner's grandson didn't have any idea how to start it (starting on gas and switching to diesel) so he decided he would pull the ignition system apart and fix it. Unfourtunaly he is no where near a mechanic and lost the parts before we got the machine so I am in the dark about how to get it back together.

  9. #9rhanglo2010-10-22 13:38

    try Nelson M Green in UK Lincolnshire, he buys from all over the world old equipment. good luck

  10. #10heavylift2010-10-22 13:42

    if you scrap ....check with a scrapper first .... some will take HEAVY stuff whole and give you the same price as prepared.... saves you a lot of time and money cutting it up

  11. #11kmickels2010-10-22 18:46

    Awsome rh, thanks for the info I just shot them an email we will se if there interested.