Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is there a Diesel mechanic here.

orville · 2025-09-13 18:17

I have an old excavator I wanted to paint so I took it apart somewhat. enough so the engine could not be run. It sat for I think 3 years. just got it back together and tried to start it. The starter spun the engine very fast. Fast enough to say the engine doesn't have any compression. This is an old Allis Diesel, I am thinking the rings are stuck to the pistons. this has an injector timed to the engine and fuel lines going to all cylinders. any body have any suggestions. I had Model A ford back in about 1962 with the no compression problem. Poured a little motor oil in the spark plugs holes. spun the engine and started right up.

Replies15
  1. #1reganj2025-09-13 21:34

    I am not a diesel mechanic, wait until some of the smart fellers on here reply, I think they are going to tell you to use WD-40 through the air intake while spinning the motor over

  2. #2Cliffy2025-09-14 05:24

    Never seen or worked on an Allis engine but i would start with the basics before pouring liquid down the intake and hydraulic locking it. Was the air intake or exhaust open to the weather while it was apart? Does the engine have a decompression lever that could be jammed? Could also be stuck open valves. I would pull the rocker cover and look for compressed valve springs and rust.

  3. #3orville2025-09-14 07:42

    The engine has a turbo on it. I thought I covered it, but appears I did not. The exhaust has the flapper to keep rain water out of the engine. as for a decompression lever I don't know what that would be, the engine dates back to to 60's. I will remove the rocker cover and take a look. The engine is in an enclosed part of the machine.

  4. #4Shimmy12025-09-14 09:29

    I'd guess it's likey that it lost fuel prime, have you bled the system? Cranked it over with injector lines loosened?

  5. #5B&B2025-09-14 10:46

    Knowing the model of the engine and machine would help

  6. #6orville2025-09-14 13:40

    I always wondered how that was done. I will give that a shot. But like I posted above it is turning over way too fast, something isn't right

  7. #7orville2025-09-14 13:50

    The engine is a 2900 Allis. The engine is a in line 6 cylinder. the machine is an Shield Bantam Model C-450, A division of Koehring.

  8. #8pittsburgh cat man2025-09-14 15:49

    I did a little looking looking like it has a Rosa master or a cav pump on it check for bleed screw on round part of pump open and see if you get fuel while priming it if you do open bleeder on upper part till you get fuel then crack the injector line that is the highest on the pump and crank engine it will probably start with the one line open close that line when it starts good luck

  9. #9Shimmy12025-09-14 18:23

    Might have to pull valve cover and make sure all the valves are free. Might be every cylinder has one stuck.

  10. #10Birken Vogt2025-09-15 10:58

    I've pulled a lot of diesels from the scrap heap and made them run again and had plenty with lost compression in some cylinders, but never one with lost compression in all cylinders. Something is fishy here.

  11. #11Vetech632025-09-15 12:30

    If it's sat for 3 years, it's unlikely there is any oil on the rings at all. Ide bet some of the rings are stuck on the pistons. Pull the fuel injectors and add ATF to each cylinder. Let it set for a week or so then spin the engine over to evacuate the ATF. I would test your compression at that point since the injectors are removed anyway. You need 300PSI+ to fire that engine.

  12. #12orville2025-09-15 15:05

    You guys have given me enough suggestions to get this engine running. If it is going to run. part of the work I would need a helper. all the 2900 series means is it has a turbo. I went to NAPA for a valve cover gasket and was told I had to tell him if it was a d12 13 14, several D somethings. There is or was a ACRO parts division in Batavia, IL. I will give them a call.

  13. #13orville2025-09-15 15:13

    I haven't done anything yet, If I remove an injector what will fit in the injector hole to install a gauge. I would guess there is a dozen different hole sizes and threads per inch on an injector.

  14. #14pittsburgh cat man2025-09-15 15:43

    I don’t think I would pull a injector till I tried priming it a shot of wd 40 in the intake might help

  15. #15mekanik2025-09-15 16:34

    It has a compression release? How is it activated? is it going back to the run position?