Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is there a shortage of excavator operators?

Sam ยท 2008-02-10 23:05

I've heard that there is a shortage of operators . If so, how hard would it be for an old trucker - DOT qualified - to become a more or less casual operator, while trucking is slow? And, where are operators needed, the most?

Replies15
  1. #1DirtWorker2008-02-11 00:22

    I don't know what its like in the states but around here in Canada there is a surplus of shovel operators. Everyone wants to be a excavator operator. We have a shortage of good dozer and grader operators.

  2. #2dayexco2008-02-11 10:46

    there are plenty of "operators"....but a shortage of those who are truly capable of running an excavator. the term operator seems to be painted with a mighty wide brush these days. i've got 10's thousands hrs on an excavator, pretty dang good at it, but you don't want me on a blade or a dozer and be productive, i can run them, just not efficient at all.

  3. #3AtlasRob2008-02-11 15:28

    operators There is a shortage of good plant operators in the UK. We have a few drivers, some screwdrivers, but very very few operators. :notworthy We have a card scheme that I really dont want to get heavily involved in running down, but following its botched introduction and umpteen times of alteration many of the older ops have given up and got out of the industry. :cool2 Its not funny when after 40 and more years of operating plant you are told you need to take a test to show you are competent :beatsme. Oh, you'll need to fill in this book each week so you can prove you've done enough hours to renew your card in 5yrs time.:Banghead

  4. #4d4c24a2008-02-11 16:12

    Cscs Card hi atlasrob good to see you here :drinkup yes the logbook wonderful :Banghead cheers graham

  5. #5JS580SL2008-02-11 20:28

    Things are real slow around these parts and theres PLENTY of operators, good and bad to go around.

  6. #6N.CarolinaDozer2008-02-11 20:50

    Yeah we have a problem with the so called "operator". There's nothing more I hate than a guy to state that he has experience all over on any type of machine. And then he is no better than the one's who tell us that they just want a start, with no experience. I've told my bossman time and time again to give some people a chance to start out with us. I started with him two years ago, and now I'm the one who has been with him the longest. And I told him I had no experience but operator school. In two years I've went from starting on a roller to now being the fine grade dozer operator. So I hope that I am an example of what no experience can amount to!:usa

  7. #7RKO2008-02-12 19:58

    Work slowed down some this fall/winter for the first time in years. A lot of the federal funded projects got canceled (need the money for the war) so several area contractors have laid off a lot of workers. So there seem to be a surplus of operators both good and bad. I have enough work, but not like the last few years when I was months out in work. Steel workers, welders, pipe layers and anyone with commercial building experience is needed in this area.

  8. #8rino14942008-02-13 07:29

    There is no shortage of stick pullers, just operators.

  9. #9AtlasRob2008-02-13 15:00

    Cpcs Hi Graham, thanks for the welcome, :drinkup we could start a whole new thread on the card scheme but it wouldn't be fair on the rest of the world. :stirthepot

  10. #10Deas Plant2008-02-14 07:10

    Hi, AtlasRob. Hi, AtlasRob. So! You've found our little hidey hole at last. Welkum, Mate. We have a ($&#@*&^!) card scheme here too. I've yet to meet anybody who can explain to me how it makes me a better operator when I have 43 years up without a single lost time accident due to my operating techniques or habits. Ditto with the daily plant inspection reports that we are now required to fill out - or cop a $1,700 fine if caught with it not filled out. Wotta loada male bovine anal excresence! We seem to have a similar problem Downunder to you 'topsiders' re the quality of operators that are available. Plenty of 'experts' - just not many who are able to demonstrate their 'expertise'. There are also quite a few who can handle the machine well enough but can't approach a job in an efficient manner, even for their own part of it, let alone co-ordinate with others on the site.

  11. #11AtlasRob2008-02-16 14:45

    welcome Hi Deas, thanks for the welcome. I found the site purley by accident when checking the stats on my own site. Have no prob with my last home, Joe has a great site, just that I've had 18 months of work away all week except Wed night, Sat pm and sunday so time on line was a no no :bash. Now I've lost track of what was going on and a change is as good as a rest :drinkup

  12. #12union4life2008-02-17 14:55

    "Everyone is an operator" even the guy who says "I no how to DRIVE that machine". You don't drive them you operate them.......

  13. #13Tn Bulldog2008-02-17 21:17

    AMEN Brother :drinkup later yall Bulldog

  14. #14JS580SL2008-02-17 21:25

    All to true........:beatsme

  15. #15AtlasRob2008-02-19 15:48

    Driver, screwdriver or operators Sorry union4life, I have to disagree. Plenty of people can drive machines, whether they can operate them is a different question all together.