Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Whats too big

Hitachi350Man ยท 2008-02-11 18:58

What's the biggest size hoe you can transport on a tag trailer. I've seen a lot of 120s and 160s and a few 200s. But a 200 is big. Some guys say even too big for a tag trailer. What are your guys thoughts and experience?

Replies22
  1. #1mikef872008-02-11 19:30

    I've moved my 320 on the tag trailer. Even moved the smaller loaders a few times. As long as it's not to high or overweight you should be fine. I'd rather move it on a lowbed, but if it's tied up and we need to move something we use the 25 ton tag.

  2. #2dayexco2008-02-11 19:36

    200 sized hoes here would take a tandem dump with a 3 ax trailer to be legal. man, you're getting up in the air a ways too. how would they be to load in the winter, or late fall/early spring? frosty deck? i like my trailers low!

  3. #3dirt digger2008-02-11 20:06

    you'll find the larger a hoe you move on a trailer the more likely the DOT will pull you over. You may be legal for weight/height/width/etc...but that state cop doesn't know just by looking and you can bet he'll pull you over just because it looks like it may be illegal we use to haul our 15 ton on a tag, but just for the reason i said we started hauling it with the lowboy

  4. #4Countryboy2008-02-11 20:09

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums dirt digger! :drinkup

  5. #5dirt digger2008-02-11 20:09

    thank you...when can i start a thread to introduce myself with pictures?

  6. #6rino14942008-02-11 20:48

    On a 20 ton tandem axle tag, you can haul up to a 150 size, but I don't recommend it.

  7. #7Burnout2008-02-11 21:15

    I have seen a 230 Deere hauled quite frequently on a tag behind a tri axle Binder. And I wont say who or where... but I also saw a 330LC Deere behind a tri axle K Whopper on a 3 axle paver trailer. It screamed unsafe to me but it was kinda cool to see.

  8. #8CascadeScaper2008-02-12 02:13

    A guy I know moves a 200LC with a triple axle tag, although I've talked to the driver and he doesn't particularly like doing it. They have no other means of transporting the machine, so they've been doing it this way since the machine was new in '97. The driver was telling me going around sharp corners the deck would actually lay over on the outside tires if you went too fast. That just doesn't sound like fun to me. A 15 ton hoe can be moved very easily with a 25 ton tag trailer, it's a very common practice around here. Our local Cat dealer runs a KW T800 with a TrailEze hydraulic tail to deliever equipment as their only truck. They routinely haul 320's with that setup, it looks tough. I know the driver very well, he says it's not too bad unless it wet or during the winter.

  9. #9coopers2008-02-12 03:43

    ...but hauling a 200 on a triple axle trailer is a ticket by WSP. If it's your only way then you have no other option I guess, but I sure wouldn't risk it. Blake WA

  10. #10CascadeScaper2008-02-12 13:31

    My buddy is back in Chelan and he calls in for overweight permits every time he moves it. He does it legally, but it's a PITA. WSP and DOT isn't terribly present, but he plays by the rules.

  11. #11Hitachi350Man2008-02-12 16:51

    The concern to me is not even so much the weight of a 200 on a tag its the height and width. Now a 350 on a tag, that's scary.

  12. #12mikef872008-02-12 17:13

    You can't mean a Cat 350???

  13. #13Hitachi350Man2008-02-12 20:03

    No, hitachi

  14. #14Kgmz2008-02-12 22:05

    ...

  15. #15Burnout2008-02-12 22:40

    I'd kinda like to see someone try a 350 Cat on a 3 axle tag along trailer... would make for an awesome picture.

  16. #16mikef872008-02-13 16:44

    I take it you've moved a Hitachi 350 on a tag trailer? I have a Hitachi 300 we move on the lowboy.

  17. #17biggixxerjim2008-02-13 17:31

    Th at track spread is prob. wayyy to wide to even track up a tag trailer

  18. #18DirtWorker2008-02-13 18:33

    Nothing is ever to big.

  19. #19mikef872008-02-13 20:10

    it's probably to wide or cutting it close.

  20. #20Hitachi350Man2008-02-14 00:28

    I've never moved a 300 size excavator on a tag. It's way too big.

  21. #21dayexco2008-02-14 23:24

    here, DOT would be licking their chops if they pulled you over with a 300 sized machine on a tag trailer.

  22. #22mikef872008-02-15 05:48

    it's way overweight, and probably to high.