Have a leaking seal for the final drive on the front axle. To get to the seal I have to remove the upper and lower steering bearings. The only way I have been able to remove them is with a hammer and chisels. It is not easy and takes lots of effort. Does anyone have any tricks or special tools to remove them. It seems like a job I do every 1 to 2 years so I wouldn't mind investing in some tools to make the job easier. Backhoe is a Deere 310SJ In the picture I already have the upper one most of the way out.
Seems like you're using a chisel to wedge the flanges off. Do you install the flange with the 4 bolts? How about drill and tap between the holes for (4) jack screws ? Leave a short cap screw in the holes to keep the dirt out.
What ^ said. Ive done it a few times myself. It makes it fast and easy. Drill through your shims also. I didn't the first time and the push screws tore up my shims pretty good. I only put 2 per cap 180 across from eachother.
I looked at the pictures and read the post and thought "he could just drill and tap the cap and push that off". Then I see that I'm just slow and two guys are already there. Guess I need to start earlier.
Well now that you have it up that far how about slipping a nut under each corner then thread a piece of all-thread down throught the nut and into the threads of the hole then us an open end wrench to back nut off the all-thread and jack the pin out. You could do this on opposite corners or all four corners if it is moving hard. Otherwise you could drill and tap a pair of holes right now then to protect the shims slip a piece of flat stock in there to push against. Don't forget to put holes in shims for next time! Also I would lean towards a heavy coating of anti-seize to make the next time easier!
I had a situation like that not too long ago and I used a bearing splitter & jacked it out. Worked pretty well.
Glad, I'm not too far out with the jack screw idea... Here's an idea a bit further out of the box. As the jack screw idea requires you to wedge it out the first time... Can the steering bearings be drilled and taped in the center ? Then threaded rod attached, and pulled out with a bridge over the bearing flange ... Like pulling a cylinder sleeve. A hollow cylinder to pull would be the cat's meow.
Or just weld a 2 inch piece of threaded rod to it.....
You beat me to it. For many years now I've been of the opinion "if it doesn't get LockTite it gets Never Seize"
Not knowing what the inside of that part looks like can't be sure but that does sound like a good way to go. To keep dirt and water out just cut off a bolt short enough to not get in the way inside and use that for a plug. And if you are a better welder than me another easy mod would be to weld say a 3/4 nut to the top and when not being used to pull the bearing, again a nice short bolt with a coat of anti-sieze on it and it will be ready to go next time around. Like they say "There is more than one way to skin a cat!" Oh! wait this is a deere not a cat? guess it goes the same for deer!
That's the truth! And somehow, every new bottle I've opened the brush tip is splayed out like a friggen mop!
yep I hate that
Or the stupid brush is tooo short to get the last 1/2 inch out if the bottom !
Yep, they do the same thing with pipe dope and a few other things....
I gave up on those stupid cap brushes- cut it off & got a whole mess of acid brushes. The cap brushes are like someone's joke on the world especially with a new can when there is enough goop on it to do 40,000,000 pieces.