Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is there a way to identify T1?

RobVG ยท 2013-07-30 11:41

I've got some scrap laying around and would like to know if some is T1. I mark the T1 I buy when put it in the rack but the previous guy had pieces of sheet that I don't know what they are. I've noticed T1 is a little scaly but that can't be a very good way to tell. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Scrub Puller2013-07-30 13:12

    Yair . . . RobVG . If the choice is T1 or M/S one of those auto centre punches should give an indication. Cheers

  2. #2RobVG2013-07-31 21:33

    Sounds reasonable but I just bought one of the center punches and had to take it back. I wouldn't even dimple mild steel.

  3. #3willie592013-07-31 21:42

    Ok, I can't help but thing of Hee Haw..."If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all..." :lmao

  4. #4mitch5042013-07-31 22:01

    The other thing you can try is a good sharp or new file. The mild steel should cut easily with chips the size of the file teeth, while the file will want to just slide on t1 or ar.

  5. #5RobVG2013-08-01 20:31

    Thanks Mitch