Watching this video I notice the operator retracts the outrigger while loaded and lowers the pad into place. He does this for all 4. Is this a big No or am I overeacting? http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=fi-mFgCeKfE
Let me say 1st off I am a driver , Been chasing cranes for a lot of years . Company had one old school guy that did this every time he set up . Several people asked why he set the machine up like that . All we got out of him was he felt more secure doing that .Hes retired now . With that said the current operator sets mats on 1/2 riggers which I really like . The computer has a chart for that so the overload bells and whistles work properly . Just for giggles and grins I grabbed the chart from the office and no where in that book did it ever show a chart for "3 legging " I can see a situation that might be required once in a blue moon but day in and day out?... My personal belief is its wrong If you ever look at the machine while that is going on the frame is twisting .
Ive followed alot your posts. Thanks for clearing that up, 1/2 riggers is the way I'll do it too. 3 legging lol
Seems like more work than just running half. Everyone I see running ATs runs half to set pads If I had to hazard a guess as too why do it that way, the only thing I could think of is hes worried about backward stability. But with all that boom and no counterweight it shouldn't be an issue. I just set mine on rubber, however I run lattice rigs. I've never set up a juice pig that size. Just helped out other operators.
He's just floating the outriggers. Thats perfectly safe and commonly done. In some cases this has to be done where space is an issue where your half outrigger is occupying the same space the mat has to. Or this can be done on a hill where you need to build up on your mat in the event your jack runs out of stroke before your level with tires clear. The case in the video, he's just saving a little time.