Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is this insanity?

emmett518 ยท 2021-10-16 14:35

A friend has a Mack RD685 from the 70s that has a shot frame. He's asking $6000. Can you rebuild a frame in your driveway, or does it require cranes, specialized tools, and big money? I do have tools for working on my backhoe, and I could do some lifting with the hoe, but I know nothing about six wheel trucks.

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2021-10-16 14:52

    I direct your attention to this thread ........... HeavyEquipmentForums I would say don't walk away from it - run....!!!

  2. #2emmett5182021-10-16 15:45

    Thank you.

  3. #3Jumbo2021-10-17 23:49

    If the frame is shot, what else is? Sounds like a rubber tired money pit driven to extinction.

  4. #4skyking12021-10-17 23:51

    It's one of those things that if you have it, you run it till it fails. If you don't have it, don't buy it.

  5. #5suladas2021-10-18 01:17

    Good for a site or farm truck, run it till it dies. Or if enough good parts, part it out. Not good for anything else.

  6. #6JLarson2021-10-18 01:55

    Forget you ever saw it.

  7. #7emmett5182021-10-18 06:07

    One friend said that people are going to buy it, and ship it to Africa. That's a scary thought.

  8. #8Truck Shop2021-10-18 09:13

    In most cases-a used truck is worth about what the tires are worth holding it up.