Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is this the right spot for mulching equipment talk?

flatrock9 ยท 2013-08-04 08:41

As a newbie I'm still trying to learn all the terminology and the what's what. I'm looking to get into forestry mulching/field recovery/general clean up. My only experience is with Bobcat 190 (I think) and a CAT compact track loader. I'm pretty proficient on the Bobcat but sucked the one time I drove the CAT. Couldn't get use to the foot pedals after spending so much time in the Bob. So question #1... If you were purchasing a smaller setup what would your combination be and why? Second question - What are the big things to look for in the machinery? Hi-flow vs low-flow, rubber vs steel tracks, 50in vs 60in head, etc, etc. Just general things like that. Thanks.

Replies12
  1. #1durallymax2013-08-04 17:42

    Getting into mulching is a big investment that requires some prior knowledge on how to operate. If you only want to mulch many purpose built machines are better, but if you want to use a CTL you'll need the biggest of any brand. Everybody will have their own opinions, many like the Terex PT100 for mulching, the Cat 299D XHP is another powerful choice along with both the largest Bobcat and Deere CTL's. Don't see many CNH machines in the woods it seems though. You need high flow to run any mulcher. Steel tracks are rare, but becoming available. Bobcat had them but then took them off the market IIRC they may be back though. Cat was bringing them to the market for a pretty penny. I think you may be a bit confused on the Cat versus Bobcat. The bobcat could have foot controls, Cat does not offer them.

  2. #2flatrock92013-08-04 20:02

    Ahhhhh.....I meant to say NOT HAVING foot pedals. I got ahead of myself. I hope the picture posts cause that's what happened the last time I was in a CAT. Using a grappler to pull metal out at a guy's farm where he lost his chicken houses during the April 27th tornados. As I said earlier I am pretty decent on the 190. I know that I'll need something bigger than the 190 to mulch with. The issues I have center around what are the best sizes and options. I am unfamiliar with what makes one undercarriage better than another or what the ideal machine is to work with. I'm seeing options like PTO driven mulching heads and hydraulic heads. I keep seeing obsolete machine numbers on CTL's which can be confusing. I've seen mulching heads that are described as being for low flow machines. I see where some like a 50in head cause the don't lose power. Basically there is a lot to take in. I'm not looking at doing full time work. I hope to do just enough work to make a machine payment. I have some work at my place and my father in laws that I can use as a learning curve. That is the biggest reason that I'm not looking for a large setup. My initial thought was a T750 with a Fecon Bull Hog SS. Thoughts?

  3. #3Red Hill Dirt2013-08-04 23:53

    Look at either a cat 299XHP or a Terex/ASV PT-100 with a forestry package on it. A lot of Pt100's came from the factory purpose built to spin a giant mulcher. if you want to make money doing it, get the most horsepower that you can afford

  4. #4flatrock92013-08-05 07:10

    Looking through some older posts it appears that folks aren't satisfied with the CAT undercarriage. There seemed to be lots of love for the Takeuchi. Those were 2-3 year old posts so has CAT improved? I'm pricing new machines but also taking a look at used ones. I've seen some nice ones with under 1000 hours on them. I've found a 2012 T870 with 500 hours and a Bradco mulching head for 75,000 but I don't have a clue if that is an outrageous price or acceptable.

  5. #5Red Hill Dirt2013-08-05 15:06

    Older Cat undercarriages were not so great. Cat licensed ASV's undercarriage for quite awhile until they came up with their own that works correctly. The 2x9 series track loaders have good undercarriages, like the Tak, JD, Bobcat and others. Going from memory, all the 2x7C and older have the undesirable undercarriage. Based on the link below and few others that I briefly looked at, it seems a fair price as long as we're talking apples to apples, The A91 package and forestry package is what you'll want. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9173125

  6. #6durallymax2013-08-05 16:47

    You don't want PTO driven. PTO is a true mechanical driveshaft. SSL's are all hydro. Cat's MTL undercarraige is fine for some tasks but it's not built to be durable in the woods or other heavy work. It works fine on the Terex/ASV but those machines are purpose built not converted SSL's. The 2x7 machines are MTL's. The CTL undercarraige is a regular steel undercarraige just like the others, however it is mounted on torsion axles for better ride. The 2x9 machines are CTLs.

  7. #7flatrock92013-08-05 19:45

    I figured as much on the PTO drive. Quite honestly was surprised to see that a PTO mulching head even existed. So I'm leaning towards a used machine. What are the opinions on a 2007 ASV RC100 with under 800 hours?

  8. #8flatrock92013-08-05 19:59

    You know.....I don't know what I was thinking about the PTO driven heads. I kinda said that without thinking it through. I saw PTO on the Fecon website and didn't bother taking a look at it. It was about the time I finished that last post that I realized how stupid it was to ask about a PTO driven head on a SSL.

  9. #9Red Hill Dirt2013-08-06 13:58

    we all say something silly from time to time when we're trying to understand how something works. It's ok.

  10. #10durallymax2013-08-06 17:28

    PTO driven are used on Fendts and other tractors with reverse stations like the Bi directionals.

  11. #11CM19952013-08-06 18:12

    Welcome to the Forums flatrock9! :drinkup Good to see another member from AL. I would advise extreme caution with this train of thought. If you don't want to shell out the monthly payment every month out of your own money or can't pay cash for it, I would seriously re-consider the purchase. It's a tough market and you need clients lined up before hand in order to make enough money to not only pay for the machine but for fuel, maintenance, repairs, insurance and transportation. These mulchers require fairly intensive maintenance to keep them running. The 2012 T870 with Bradco head sounds like a decent deal. A new T870 is +/- $80K without the head. Does this machine have the forestry guarding package? I am not trying to be an ass, just speaking from experience. The new wears off quickly with equipment but that monthly love note still keeps coming..:cool2

  12. #12KSSS2013-08-06 23:30

    Perhaps I can shorten your certainly painful learning curve on this plan. First thing, CHARGE THE GOING RATE IN YOUR AREA FOR THIS SERVICE. Don't be the d-bag that undercuts the market by 50% to get the work. I doubt anyone is cutting a fat hog mulching in your area. There is usually a good reason things are priced as they are. I offer it as a service, I don't live off of it. I have no competition for that service here. I run a Tushogg on a CASE 465. Great machine for this application, super heavy duty, 265 foot pounds of torque on a large displacement engine. Like most skid steers running these attachments, I suck down almost 5 gallons an hour. This application is, I think, the most demanding of any skid steer or CTL. The machines are running at their max. in a high heat, dirty environment. Its not by chance that when you see a burnt up SS or CTL it likely had a mulcher on it. Machines don't have a long life doing this type of work without a lot of maintenance, which takes money. Learn what the market is in your area, do your own math, but you are a fool to under cut the market by an significant amount. Get work because you do a good job at a fair, market value price, not because you don't know any better. The 80K it takes to buy the machine is just the start. You need the logistical equipment to move the machine (no easy task on a machine that big), fuel it, fix it on site, advertising. Don't forget insurance and all the other business related costs that go with it. Go into this with your eyes wide open.