Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is this trailer long enough

Logger72 · 2019-07-14 20:54

I am looking at an Eager beaver 20 ton trailer, the deck is 16 feet long. I am planning on hauling a Cat 312 excavator on it. My question is if this deck is long enough,,,my 15 ton trailer has an 18 foot deck but not heavy enough to haul a 312. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1lumberjack2019-07-15 00:00

    Would your 312 fit on the 15 ton trailer? Are there two feet to spare? Where would the axles end up relative to the center of gravity of the load?

  2. #2Shimmy12019-07-15 00:13

    Not sure of the bridge laws in PA, but if your 312 weighs around 28,000, and you can place it close enough to the front of the trailer to get 6000 or so on the hitch, it should be legal. Comfortable to drive? That's a whole 'nother conversation, lol.

  3. #3Tags2019-07-15 07:43

    It’s probably fine, I personally like a longer trailer so I can load more stuff on like buckets, forks, or a hammer. But it’s also handy if I want to take two smaller machines to a job in one trip....

  4. #4Logger722019-07-16 11:53

    Thanks for all the input,, I decided to pass on the deal and wait for a trailer that has the longer deck,,for the cost of a heavier trailer I may be money ahead to just hire a guy to move me!