Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is this wrong?

mitch504 ยท 2015-02-14 23:00

Here's something I did today for y'all to talk about: The truck is an F-Super Duty, GVWR 16,000 lbs, 11,000 rear axle. The hitch is a combination ball/pintle rated at 12 tons. The trailer has 2 7000 lb axles, a 20' deck, and 4' beavertail. It weighs about 6000 lbs.

Replies13
  1. #1lantraxco2015-02-15 02:38

    As long as you don't load over about 10,000 on it, you should be fine. Any more than that you'll either overload the axles or pull the front wheels off the ground.

  2. #2old-iron-habit2015-02-15 05:49

    I'm sure your components are up to snuff. Here DOT would have a field day with you if loaded like a normal gooseneck. They check tongue weight at the back of the truck. Do you know the tongue rating for the back of the truck is. A balanced load on the gooseneck not adding any more tongue weight than a standard pull behind should be fine.

  3. #3CM19952015-02-15 10:10

    I would use it to move the trailer empty but wouldn't pull the trailer loaded in that arrangement.

  4. #4clintm2015-02-15 10:12

    :iagree

  5. #5farmerlund2015-02-15 10:45

    I do the same thing sometimes on our service truck (kw t600) no problem with heavy load on it. Just remember the neck will not clear your side boxes. Recipe for disaster. Wide turns only. ha

  6. #6clintm2015-02-15 10:54

    A t600 is a little bigger than an f 550

  7. #7markshr1512015-02-15 10:58

    Yes everything has a weight rating and you have some week links. ( ie tongue weight ) I pull a 32' 12 ton goose neck with a utility body truck. That's 20,000 on the trailers axels an 5000 on the tongue. My axel weights work out just fine. Maybe you can find the week link and change it to work for what you need?

  8. #8td25c2015-02-15 11:29

    I would think as long as Mitch loads the trailer accordingly based on the truck / hitch combination he will be fine . What the hell was I thinking ?........ He has already thought this out and knows what he's doing .

  9. #9sheepfoot2015-02-15 17:16

    It will work just loading more to the back to keep the hitch/axle weight correct. Mitch I think you need to add some airplane steering wheels to that landing gear so it will pull easier, Just pulling your leg!.

  10. #109420pullpan2015-02-15 21:57

    i saw this once just had to share some ppl!

  11. #11clintm2015-02-15 22:08

    Git'er done:thumbsup

  12. #12lantraxco2015-02-15 22:38

    Poor people got poor ways man.... wow, LOL

  13. #13mitch5042015-02-17 00:06

    Congratulations 9420! You found the rig that was my inspiration! What got me to post this thread was a long discussion I got into with my helper (a retired OTR driver) abot whether this was a good idea or not. I started out thinking it just HAD to be wrong, but I reluctantly concluded it must be OK since if it had a straight tongue, instead of an arched one, I wouldn't think a thing about it. I have a 12-ton tag that is bigger than this trailer in every way, but I pull it with this truck, (though only empty or lightly loaded). One thing nobody commented on, is that due to the design of the coupler and my hitch, I could only turn about 75 degrees one way and 60 the other. This is a customer's trailer that I just rebuilt, and I started out just getting it out of the shop, but, after our discussion, I decided to go ahead and deliver it. However, I soon discovered I DID NOT have the balls to pull it down the highway! View attachment 131246 If you look at the ball above, you'll see it is a very low-rise ball. It wouldn't go up in the coupler enough to lock, so I just pulled it across my shopyard. I have a Mack tractor with this same hitch mounted even with the back edge of the back tires, or about 22" behind the center of the back axle. I have considered pulling one of these trailers with it, since I would probably break the trailer before overloading the truck. Thanks everybody for the discussion, and thanks TD25C for the vote of confidence, Mitch