Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Advice needed for buying trailer to haul equiment

Andyinchville ยท 2015-02-14 17:56

HI All, I recently got into doing trenching type work and have a need to buy a bigger / heavier duty trailer. Most of the machines I will be needing to move will weigh around 8000 to 12000 (in actuality typically more like 8 to 10K unless I buy the larger trencher which will weigh closer to 12K. FWIW I also own a case 680 E backhoe that weights about 17500. My dilemma is this.... Should I buy a trailer to meet most of my "normal" needs (i.e. moving about 10K weight so a 7 ton rated trailer would suffice or should I just bite the bullet and get a 12T trailer that would be capable of hauling my backhoe as well). Note: I have a 1997 Dodge dually as well as a F800 ...both 5.9 cummins and geared low so either can move the load in theory. On the one hand having 1 trailer that can do everything would be nice BUT a majority of the time I would just be hauling extra weight or do you feel the capability would offset any extra weight toted (I did notice that for a 12 T rated trailer the Econolines with the multimax suspensions are relatively "light" at 5K or so lbs empty (light compared to many tandem duals of the same size and load bearing which often weigh in at 6000 to 6500 lbs empty...ON the flip side that is still about 2K more weight to tote around given the fact that a 7T rated trailer in the econoline lineup weighs in at about 3300 lbs empty. NOTE : I am not stuck on econlines just that I had the numbers for them from their website. So what would you do?....separate trailers or just the one and go for it and disregard the extra weight? (I don't have an unlimited budget so it would seem to save $$ getting just one trailer although I may be penalized in tyerms of added tires to pay for and more fuel to move the heavier trailer. Lastly.... I will probably steer clear of triple axle trailers (due to tire wear issues) and have pretty much narrowed my heavy hauler options to either tandem duals or a multimax type supension....Anybody with real world recommendations on which way to go here? Personally using 16 inch tires on bud type wheels appeals to me more so than 5 spoke type wheels with odd small tires but then again I am trying to keep an open mind on everything. Thanks in advance for any and all input. Thanks! Andrew

Replies6
  1. #1AllDodge2015-02-14 18:00

    What are you pulling all the above with?

  2. #2monster762015-02-14 19:30

    I would buy 10 or 12 ton tag trailer with a 7 ton trailer you will probably be blowing out tires and destroying wheel bearing every time you put the backhoe on it and probably bend an axle with the first turn you make

  3. #3ericscher2015-02-14 20:51

    Andy, You want to keep in mind that once your trailer exceeds 10,000 pounds GVWR then you have to add the trailer's GVWR to the truck's GVWR and you can't be over 26,000 unless you have a CDL. That means you need to pay attention to your tow vehicle's GVWR and it's pulling ability. You're definitely going to want a a 1-ton or better truck, even if you just have a single rear wheel. BTW, a 14,000# trailer can carry a 12,000# excavator because some of the weight is actually on the truck. I just bought a new trailer that will be rated at 14,500 but I built it with 8,000 pound axles which means it will actually carry 17,500 or 18,000 pounds. I would say that if you have a CDL and you don't mind having a single heavy trailer then it's probably a good idea to go that way. If you DON'T, and if you have a place to put two trailers, it can be nice having each one sized for the job in mind.

  4. #4Andrew_D2015-02-14 20:53

    I would go with 1 trailer. Especially since they are getting close in size. If the 2 trailers were quite a ways apart in terms of size/capacity, that's a different story. For example, I've got 3 trailers: 1) 4'x6' single axle lawn mower/atv trailer 2) 102"x22' deckover (2x7k axles) 3) 10'x35' lowbed (triple axle) Not much overlap in those specs! Andrew

  5. #5Andyinchville2015-02-15 00:49

    I have a 1997 Dodge extended cab 4x4 ton truck , cummins 5.9, 5 sp and 4.10 gears and a ford F800 Dump Truck, 5.9 cummins 6 speed I don't know the manufacturers recommended tow ratings for the vehicles but both are pretty low geared and stout....Towing heavy I would keep speeds slow for safety. Andrew

  6. #6Andyinchville2015-02-15 01:06

    Thanks for the input so far....Currently I am leaning towards the one trailer can move it all scenario just in terms of pure economics ....I mean 1 trailer to move everything would be cheaper than having 2 trailers to do the same job. I guess the last issue I would like to address before making a purchase is the multimax type suspension vs the standard tandem duals Does anybody here have experience with both systems?....Primarily interested in durability, tire wear, and cost of maintenance. The other topic I would like to address is the wheels and tire situation.....I think standard tandem duals using 16' tires would be the simplest to deal with BUT it seems that most multimax type suspensions use odd sized mobile home type tires on 5 spoke wheels ( FWIW I do have a 12K rated Hudson Trailer that uses the "odd" small type tires that look like a mobile home type tire / wheel BUT I have yet to really do anything with that trailer (I got it to haul 2 parts machines....mostly it has just sat but admittedly it did tow nicely). Thanks again for any input Andrew