Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Island Pacific Logging

Hayesno1 · 2019-10-03 13:35

Post your Island Pacific Logging pictures, information, stories etc. #H159 Pacific P16 she is one of my favorites

Replies73
  1. #1Hayesno12019-10-03 13:53

    Iconic IPL #H14 Pacific P16. Normally their lowbed truck but here with logging trailer. Pictures taken in 2010.

  2. #2Hayesno12019-10-03 13:58

    More of #H14 - same spot/year. See welded plate on trailer - #M1177

  3. #3Hayesno12019-10-03 14:05

    IPL #H157 Pacific P16 dumps a load at Sarita 2010

  4. #4HDX2019-10-03 18:19

    This trailer was one of the "Super Truck" trailers from 1979. The 6 trailers were X151 X152 X153 X154 X155 and X156 This was X156... The H140 (H14) and H139 both came with 4 trailers, Two each. These trailers would suffer damage over time and be scrapped Two were parted out right at the end of WEYCO and the other two would be used by Hayes Forest until they could be scrapped. Hayes Forest did not want the PreLoad trucks, However H14, H17 and H139 would be retained by them for the duration of their stay at Franklin ( Jan 2003-Dec 21 2007) H14 and H139 would both be used to pull the lowbed with. H139 would be upgraded to Clark BD 121 Rear ends and the 91,000 rears were integrated into the Hayes Forest rebuild program. After Hayes Forest exited the TFL, the H14 was bought by Island Pacific Logging to be used as a back-up Lowbed truck. This was because of the 121 rear ends she had. The prime lowbed truck was another P16 Ex BCFP unit 40-140 She had the bigger SPR 570 Rockwell rear ends. She would be semi rebuilt / Re-powered and painted in the Yellow/White paint scheme Then re-numbered H160. Some time later the H160 would be shuffled around and became a log hauler again and the H14 would become the prime LowBed truck. She would retain that position for the remainder of IPL's time at Franklin As far as I know she is still the lowbed truck for IPL down at Chemainus to this day. Was a good truck. Says a lot for the guys that built her and maintained her over the years.

  5. #5HDX2019-10-03 18:30

    H159 pictured above would be damaged in a roll over with a load of logs and suffered enough damage to have the engine replaced with a C15 Cat and a semi rebuild at the same time She would retain her orange paint scheme though. In December of 2015, Western forest dictated to IPL that they no longer wanted the big off highway truck's hauling their wood anymore, Our owner had no choice but to sell all the big truck's to a truck broker for re-sale. The H159 would sit along with a number of her sister IPL trucks for 3 1/2 years and was just sold She was barged up to her new home in Alaska along with a Lowbed trailer. I think she will have a nice retirement in her new home up there.

  6. #6HDX2019-10-03 23:18

    Pa rt of the IPL Fleet during a summer shut down around 2012

  7. #7Hayesno12019-10-04 16:06

    I´m glad to hear #H159 got a new “life”. Unfortunately I have never seen #H160 hauling a lowbed. These pictures of #H160 were taken at Hayes Anniversary show in 2012.

  8. #8Hayesno12019-10-04 16:14

    A few pictures from Sarita in 2012

  9. #9Hayesno12019-10-04 16:22

    #H17 with a nice load of cedar and empty at Sarita early July 2012

  10. #10Hayesno12019-10-04 16:28

    #H144 Hayes HDX with a nice load of cedar July 2012

  11. #11Hayesno12019-10-04 17:07

    IPL #H119 Pacific P16 preloader at Sharita shop i July 2012. I like that IPL kept the orange colour

  12. #12HDX2019-10-04 17:55

    The old P16 in the back corner of the picture above (Orange White and Green) Was a Crown Z NitNat truck Was one of the "Super Trucks" with the "Cotta" transmission behind the Allison.. All the mounts were still in her . This truck was rebuilt and was painted some wild Green color and was sold to the oil patch last I heard. The H119 would retain the same driver (Dave Golbeck) and be bought by Island Forest Logging and return to haul in Sarita where she still is today. This is now the Lowbed truck for Island Forest

  13. #13Hayesno12019-10-04 18:15

    A few pictures of the “Super truck”. I think I have seen a few pics of her in that “green coat”

  14. #14Hayesno12019-10-04 18:19

    Island Forest? That’s a new Company name to me. No offence - a small contractor?

  15. #15diamondtguy2019-10-04 18:28

    CZ "Super Truck". New home in Alberta..

  16. #16diamondtguy2019-10-04 23:31

    I remember putting this truck together when new....Saw her 5 years ago in Alberni.

  17. #17diamondtguy2019-10-04 23:42

    Recent pics on here have me traveling down memory lane...I have a pretty interesting resume.From being a machine fitter to spending years building 427 Cobra replica's..The pic below represents the highlight of my resume..Its also where I started..I have nothing but great memory's of the people I worked with and the product that instilled the word "pride" in me....Cheers to all those that looked after/drove these trucks(I don't just mean the Pacifics) after they landed in your camp....Cory

  18. #18Hayesno12019-10-05 02:18

    I am not sure which number this Pacific P16 got in the IPL fleet. Pictures were shot in summer 2010.

  19. #19Hayesno12019-10-05 02:24

    More of the same girl. Ex. owner had unit no. #H18

  20. #20Hayesno12019-10-05 02:40

    Still same truck. I think it´s an old CZ truck - these pictures were taken in summer 2012

  21. #21Hayesno12019-10-06 04:07

    Kenworth W900 fire truck #F102

  22. #22Hayesno12019-10-06 04:15

    I think this preload trailer is an ex BCFP unit -look at number welded in reach and part of painted unit 52-57

  23. #23camptramp2019-10-06 23:05

    P16 in picture started out new at BCFP Renfrew Div. in 1979 as #6-263 , became #40-139 when Fletcher Challenge merged Renfrew Div with Caycuse Div. to become "Honeymoon Bay Operations" , then became Timberwest HBO Div. The BCFP Renfrew Div. P16 #6-263 was the second to last new P16 to be purchased for the Division .

  24. #24camptramp2019-10-06 23:11

    The P16 in picture was the last P16 Pacific purchase by BCFP for Renfrew Div. in 1980 #6-264 . It was renumbered by Fletcher Challenge as the #40-140 .

  25. #25camptramp2019-10-06 23:17

    P16 Pacific in picture was a former CZ truck #40-91 from Nanaimo Lakes Div . moved by Fletcher Challenge to Renfrew Div in Fall of 1991 .

  26. #26Hayesno12019-10-07 13:00

    Thank you camptramp for filling in information on these trucks. I have some pictures of a Pacific P16 preloader with unit no #40-140 but I am not sure it is IPL #H160. I will see if I can found them and post them.

  27. #27Hayesno12019-10-07 13:11

    IPL #H143

  28. #28Hayesno12019-10-07 15:34

    I found pictures of #40-140 and comparing pictures of her and #H160 it is the same truck even though #H160 got a different bumper. Pictures of #40-140 were taken in summer 2007 near Courtnay. I thought she was going to be scrapped/used for spare parts but she has survived

  29. #29Hayesno12019-10-07 15:55

    IPL #H144 Hayes HDX shot through dusty windows after following #H17

  30. #30Hayesno12019-10-07 16:00

    IPL #H151 Hayes HDX - ex preloader

  31. #31camptramp2019-10-07 22:28

    After Teal Jones took over TFL #46 along with most of the Equipment at HBO from Timberwest , Lyle Newton was in charge . A year or so into the transition Lyle Newton took over the Equipment and created Island Pacific Logging and became the principle contractor of Teal Jones HBO operation . Up until that of point all the Equipment still had the Timberwest numbers . After that point in time things started to change . While I was off with an injury the #40-140 P16 Pacific was taken from the Div. , the next time I seen it the engine and front bumper had been changed , it had been painted and the number changed .

  32. #32Blk prince2019-10-08 09:14

    You have not been updated. Island Forest is a new contractor. Small outfit working in Sarita. Said to be a real good fellow. This is who Steve works for. He convinced the owner to put 4-5 off highways back to work. Good set of drivers and they get the wood to the beach

  33. #33Hayesno12019-10-10 14:23

    Blk Prince; thank you for clearing that out. When I saw your reply I knew right away that Steve posted some pictures earlier this year of Island Forest's Pacific trucks.

  34. #34Hayesno12019-10-10 14:32

    IPL #H212 Pacific P16 - I is a preloader but got no ramps at back? This is the only time I have seen her. (Hayes 90th Anniversary show in 2012)

  35. #35Hayesno12019-10-10 14:37

    More of #H212

  36. #36Hayesno12019-10-12 03:38

    IPL #H147 Pacific P16 waiting for #H17 to pass her. Summer 2012

  37. #37Truck Shop2019-10-12 19:33

    Great photos!

  38. #38Hayesno12019-10-14 13:18

    Pacific P16 IPL #H145 summer 2010

  39. #39Hayesno12019-10-14 13:22

    More of #H145..

  40. #40Hayesno12019-10-17 17:09

    IPL unit #F141 at Hayes 90th Anniversary Show in 2012. It is one of the first Hayes HDX that was built. I like these early Hayes HDX with Clipper doors.

  41. #41camptramp2019-10-17 21:33

    That HDX Hayes was bought by B.C. Forest Products for their Caycuse Div. I can't remember its original number . but it was a preloader .

  42. #42Hayesno12019-10-18 16:25

    Thank you Camptrramp, I believe you are refering to IPL #H212?

  43. #43Hayesno12019-10-19 16:36

    Summer 2010. This is #F141 before getting IPL colours...

  44. #44camptramp2019-10-19 22:56

    Take a look at the top side of water tank outside the pigeon roof , there are brackets cut off . These were to support the front bunk of a "preload trailer" when a trailer reload was used to load the trailer "piggy back" on truck at log dump and the log loader unloaded trailer at the loading side in the woods . This truck was an early "Preloader" . Up until the early 1970's BCFP Renfrew Div. had a couple of Washington TL 15's loading with "Tongs", all the trucks required the trailers to be unloaded by the log loaders using the Tongs or a set of "Lifting Hooks" hung on one side of the Grapples for that purpose . In the Spring of 1967 I was "Chasing & 2nd Loading" on a Steel Tower side . A part of my job was to climb up on the trailers to hook the two trailer lifting straps on to the lifting hooks on grapple . One time I had hooked up the lifting strap and was stepping off the truck into the clear , when I heard a loud crash above me . When the loader had started lifting up the trailer , the "Boom Line" had broken and the "Heel Boom " had dropped on the trailer bunk . And there it stayed until another "Boom Line" was brought out from camp and installed on loader .

  45. #45Hayesno12019-10-21 14:08

    Thank you Camptramp. I forgot all about these early types of preloaders. I went to BCFP thread and found a picture of the old Hayes trailer - post #2436. Good for you, you got off the truck before the heel boom dropped on the trailer. I wonder how long time before the TL 15 was running again with a new boom line?

  46. #46Hayesno12019-10-21 14:20

    IPL #H143 - an Pacific P16

  47. #47Hayesno12019-10-21 14:33

    It seems to me that Island Pacific Logging(IPL), Oyster River Logging (ORL) and Alliford Bay Logging(ABL) got the same background logo. Are there any connections between these 3 Companies?

  48. #48Hayesno12019-10-21 14:54

    Two great icons meeting at old M&B Franklin Camp B. IPL units #H14 and #H17. What a great day

  49. #49Hayesno12019-10-21 15:00

    IPL has quite fleet of highway trucks mostly Western Star. Here are a few.

  50. #50Hayesno12019-10-22 15:59

    Could this be IPL #H212? Pictures were taken Summer 2010 at the Sarita shop/yard.

  51. #51Hayesno12019-10-28 16:35

    IPL unit #H145, #H146 and #H152 Summer 2012

  52. #52Hayesno12019-10-30 17:03

    IPL Pacific P16 #H14 with a Cypress 7280 yarder unit #Y14

  53. #53Hayesno12019-11-05 14:33

    Sarita yard and #H17

  54. #54Hayesno12019-11-05 15:09

    More Pictures from Sarita

  55. #55Hayesno12019-11-05 15:13

    Hayes HDX #H144

  56. #56Hayesno12019-11-07 14:13

    Western Star #H117 and Wagner loader at Sarita dump

  57. #57Hayesno12019-11-07 14:20

    Pacific P16 #H145 at Sarita dump

  58. #58Hayesno12019-11-09 01:49

    Hayes HDX #H160 at Saita dump

  59. #59Hayesno12019-11-09 01:54

    FrontLoader #FL18 swipping/cleaning Sarita dry land sort with a piece of cedar I think

  60. #60dirty4fun2019-11-09 06:09

    Making a clean sweep and fresh Cedar smell in the air, about as good as it gets!

  61. #61John C.2019-11-09 12:32

    I hadn't seen the old pelican hook stakes being used since I was a kid and watching railroad cars dumping into the mill ponds. It makes sense to me now. I don't know of a stacker that could clamp on a full load let alone lift what they carried on one of those monster trucks. Thanks for the photos!

  62. #62camptramp2019-11-09 22:09

    The Western Star in picture was purchased new at Timberwest's Oyster River Div. or Nanaimo Lakes Div. about 2002 . Easy to tell which Western Star's were purchased by Timberwest Honeymoon Bay (HBO) Div. , they arrived with Steel Dayton wheels , the other Divisions had Magnesium Bud wheels .

  63. #63HDX2019-11-11 13:29

    Frank Hampton with the H145

  64. #64HDX2019-11-11 13:31

    Steve Erickson with the H148 coming around a switchback on Klanawa 700

  65. #65HDX2019-11-11 13:33

    Richard Gray with the H150 coming around a dirty switchback on Walbran 300

  66. #66HDX2019-11-11 13:37

    Dave Golbeck (Goldie) and H119 just after she got back from Chemainus Shop where they did a mini rebuild on her

  67. #67Hayesno12019-11-11 14:45

    KW #H188 at Sarita

  68. #68Hayesno12019-11-14 15:09

    IPL Pacific P16 #H157 taking a rest. Maybe she was going to push #H14 with load.

  69. #69HDX2019-11-14 21:59

    H157 was originally M&B H153 Pete Burley had it new. Came at the same time the M&B H155 ( was numbered H153 by IPL) They both came new to Franklin River in 1989

  70. #70Hayesno12019-11-17 04:37

    Here is pics of her sister #H153 with a nice load

  71. #71Hayesno12019-11-28 14:14

    Pacific P16 in shop - I think this is #H157

  72. #72HDX2019-11-28 21:04

    When new ,This truck (H157) was M&B unit H153 from Franklin River

  73. #73HDX2019-11-28 21:07

    IPL Truck Unit H153 was M&B unit H155 When new.. Also from Franklin River Now owned by Island Forest and numbered H03 and still hauling in Sarita when working