Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Issue with D3C II Transmission

bvfdfire ยท 2016-01-22 19:55

I have ran into a couple of issues with my D3C II; ser. nu. 5cj 01282, need to add some oil to transmission, I cant remember if its a 10 wt oil, or a hydo? and, after my last engine oil sample, they showed 29% fuel contamination, so I changed the oil and filter, pulled the valve cover and could find no obvious leakage, ie... no leaking lines. Is the fuel service assembly something that can be field pulled and serviced. are any special sockets needed to remove the gear? Or should I pull the injectors and pop test them before ruling it the service group? thanks in advance, keith

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2016-01-22 22:09

    Transmission oil is TO-4 SAE30 for your geographic lcation. 29% fuel contamination and you should see the fuel pi$$ing out from somewhere if you run the enyine with the valve covers off. Maybe the only other place I can think of would be the fuel transfer pump leaking.

  2. #2Bob/Ont2016-01-22 23:33

    What engine do you have 3204? Later Bob

  3. #3Old Magnet2016-01-23 01:32

    5CJ1282 is a 1994 model with 3204 45V engine.

  4. #4bvfdfire2016-01-23 20:16

    yes its a 3204 NA. I bought it in the summer last year and haven't ran it much, I will have to look into the transfer pump, it currently has an electric pump pushing diesel to the service group, it was that way when I bought it. Would it possible that the electric is overpressurizing the transfer pump and could be pushing into the engine crankcase? Nige, I had the valve cover off and didn't observe any obvious diesel, I checked around the fittings with a pc of posterboard and didntt find anything. I would think if there were a bad injector that it would have obvious blue smoke from exhaust, but all observe is brief smoke at cold start and it clears quickly.

  5. #5Nige2016-01-23 21:37

    The electric pump could well be your problem. The fuel system wasn't designed for an electric boost to the fuel pressure, doubly so if the pump is not a Cat one. You might seriously consider putting it back to standard.

  6. #6Cmark2016-01-23 23:47

    I think you've just answered your own problem. Previous owner has the transfer pump fail. For whatever reason, cost/convenience/ignorance, decides to install an electric pump. Electric pump is now pushing fuel through the failed transfer pump and into the FIP housing.

  7. #7bvfdfire2016-02-08 20:59

    finally got the transfer pump off this machine and disassembled today and with what I found inside it I would almost bet that these issues coupled with the electric pump added, is my issue. check valve in the piston has failed, check valve in intake line was clogged with sealer and the discharge check valve had no seal in it and the base seal was kinked.