Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Issues with Bulldog 12k jacks and electric kit

fastline ยท 2025-07-02 13:48

Have a couple issue on a new to us trailer. It has a new-ish pair of Bulldog 12K, as well as an electric kit. the first issue is trailer will lower onto the ball just fine but when the button is held to continue lifting the jack legs off the ground, the electric system, including the common driveshaft spin fine but legs don't lift at all. If we pull up on the legs with only about 10# of force while holding the lift button, they will raise as they should and park and stay there. What is odd with this issue is I would think that could only be bad bevel gears in the top, but there is no ratchet or odd noises, and the jacks will raise the trailer just fine. It's almost as if something disengages as soon as there is pressure off the jacks. This is not an electrical issue, something mechanical in the jacks. Other issue or question is that electric kit seems pretty lazy to me. Enough so I would not trust it to raise that trailer with any sort of load at all. For that reason, I am wondering if anyone has such a kit and can confirm the performance? It is stated that with electric, the jacks can lift 15K, but I would estimate mine is currently doing about 5k of lifting and seems pretty lazy. the motor is pulling 15A, with good voltage from a good battery. I do sort of wonder if the factory electric motor and wire is too wimpy, but also wondering about friction points such as grease. This brings me to another question. Are the screws in the jacks typically lifetime lubed? I can see a lot of friction points in the design and wondering if and what we can lube to maximize their life and performance.

Replies1
  1. #1Truck Shop2025-07-03 04:17

    Many manufacturers of landing gear including Holland & Jost have gone extended lube. And no grease fittings but do have plugs installed where fittings can be installed.