Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Isuzu with a hot cylinder

John C. ยท 2014-06-19 22:25

Seen this twice now and don't know what is going on. A 6HA Isuzu engine in an excavator has a knock that can almost be described as a bump that can be felt. Checked the exhaust manifold at the head and found #2 cylinder running over a hundred degrees hotter than the rest and this is within minutes of cold start on the engine. It's a digital or software driven injection system that is common rail so I don't know how to short out cylinders and so far I haven't found out how to see anything in the software that gives any access to the engine controller. There are no fault codes on monitor in the cab. I've seen this in both a Link-Belt and a Hitachi. Any experiences or ideas where to look next?

Replies5
  1. #1ANDREW C2014-06-19 22:57

    IDSS is the tool to connect to those isuzu engines. If its that hot you would think you would have a dripping injector. If it is in a Hitachi you can communicate with the engine controller with the later versions of MpDr and preform a cut out test and program injector codes. With the isuzus you can disconnect the injector wires and it only will shut down that hole but it will set an open/ short code. IDSS costs over $3000 and every 6 months another $1000 it connects into the engine harness.

  2. #2pf/l2014-06-20 11:56

    On the 4hk series there was a reprogram for the ecu that was similar to this. Early 4hk series were cracking pistons due to some computer programming. Ours was rebuilt under warranty because of this. I have no idea if this crosses over to yours or not but it maybe something to look into.

  3. #3John C.2014-06-20 20:00

    Thanks for the replies Andrew and pf/l. The Hitachi is an older ZX so no one I talked to thought there was access to the engine through the machine monitor. I didn't see any wires but didn't really work at it. The last thing I want to do is get mired in something I don't know enough about. The customers are aggravated to say the least and the Link-Belt guy had to get a wrench out of Hamilton Engine in Portland to get the machine to run right. They wouldn't tell me what it took except a wheel barrel load of money. I sure hate to see a bullet proof engine get ruined by electronics.

  4. #4pf/l2014-06-20 20:48

    Okay that would be a older series so my post probably wouldn't apply. Mines a 06. I haven't had allot to do with those so unfortunately can't offer much advice. They're usually a pretty good motor though. Like you say it's sad when electronics mess things up. Price we pay to keep the tree huggers happy I guess lol.

  5. #5ANDREW C2014-06-20 21:57

    I dont think those are electronic engines then. I believe that started on some large machines earlier but still within the last 6-8 years. What is the full model number on either engine it should be 4 digits long? Most of the older isuzus were just a inline pump to injectors and were that way for a while.