Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ISX 15 valve adjustment procedure? Fuel pump timing?

Bruce F · 2025-12-09 11:31

Good morning, Does anyone have the procedure for running the valves and brakes on a 2013(?) ISX 15.? Also the fuel pump timing? I'm seeing some conflicting fuel pump timing procedures on the internet. NOT my first time doing engine repair/rebuilding, but IS my first ISX. Truck is down for a gear housing oil leak. The housing has been removed cleaned and a new gasket installed. Some of the gears have been installed and torqued. I need to time the fuel pump to install, know the valve clearances and procedure (A, B, C, TDC...) to keep going on it. Any and all help appreciated!! Thanks, Bruce F

Replies8
  1. #1Shimmy12025-12-09 23:50

    Sorry, no help here other than I hope it's been addressed that the front cover was the leak, and not the head gasket. Sometimes it's hard to tell for sure until you get the cover off. Another question, are the gears you're referring to the cam gears? If they knew how to time this thing, running the overhead should be a walk in the park.

  2. #2Coaldust2025-12-10 13:53

    That’s good news. Our X15’s trash the bottom end, or drop liners before they ever need a valve adjustment. You must be living a clean life.

  3. #3Truck Shop2025-12-10 14:27

    Rather than explain--This video is a good demonstration of ISX. Simple. *

  4. #4Bruce F2025-12-11 18:51

    There's 560k miles on this engine, 973K on the truck. Yes, leak(s) were lower passenger side of the housing and near the fuel pump mounting flange. I learned how to time this, once I had the instructions (manuals). Eventually I did get the manuals/procedure for the top end. It's been a few (several) years since I did a Cummins A,B,C thing. Almost ready for a start up. Thanks

  5. #5Shimmy12025-12-11 20:16

    Is this some sort of test?? That is NOT an ISX that he's working on.....that is an X-15. I'm not going to waste time looking to see if the clearances are the same, but if nothing else, this video will not address setting the injectors, since it's common rail.

  6. #6Shimmy12025-12-11 22:12

    Never looked it up I guess, thought common rail came out in the X-15. My bad.

  7. #7Truck Shop2025-12-11 22:32

    Early ISX is single cam, later ISX up twin cam, one operates valves the other injection. Both have cam lobe wear issues. One that I know who has had early and late model designs had cam issues along with a few holes in blocks. So he decided to {On his own} start changing out lube oil pumps @ 275 to 300,000, he now has three that have 1 million each and no issues. Take that for what it's worth on paper, his drivers will say the same. Just repeating what he told me.

  8. #8pushbroom2025-12-12 00:05

    Attached the topset and base timing. The fuel pump timing now requires a special tool, i attached a pic of the old way to time if before the special tool. The 3 bolts on the fuel pump idler are one time use as well.