Hi All I have a 95 Cat IT24F it has 10k hrs. when i bought it this summer. both tilt calendars are leaking, it was sold to me with seal kits, is this worth taking on yourself if you are very mechanically inclined? In the same vein does anyone have a shop Manual?
Need a Serial Number.
4NN00388
I quite enjoy repacking cylinders. I always think to my self, for a $50 kit i saved $1000. You will need to make some home made spanners for the gland nut, oxy for the piston bolt to melt loctite, and a big socket set(or homemade) for piston bolt. Do them on machine using the rod clevis to hold rod and block of wood on bucket to support rod. If they aren’t cat seals, throw them in bin and a buy genuine kit.
Any nicks on the rod, polish off with a fine oil sharpening stone.
$1000. Woof! Last one I had rebuilt was $350. Main lift cylinder off a Mitsubshi forklift. The seals were about half that.
Awesome, I’ve got cat seals too!
Cat quoted me 1000 in labor each
Who goes there for service?
Got a quote for cylinder repacking in a mining town in Australia a couple of years ago for a loader. $3000
You may find the attached useful. Consider how you are going to loosen & re-tighten the piston retaining nut (1325 ft lbs) and the gland in the head (440 ft lbs). You might have to think about taking the cylinders to a hydraulic shop to have them crack everything for you, even if you do all the seal replacement work yourself. there is always the option to get creative. 1325 ft lbs is only just over 200 pounds on a 6ft-long pipe slid over a 1"-square drive power handle.
the best seal are System Steel, Trellbourg, or Merkel bar none