I finally had time to look into scarifier shanks for the grader. I'm still waiting for a price on Volvo style but highly doubt they will be cheaper. I had a price from an equipment dealer I saw at a trade show a couple weeks ago that I thought was really good. I called another local dealer and there price was a little more. Then I called Black Cat who's head office is here and they gave me the name of one of their preferred dealers. WOW!!! Here's the breakdown on Cat 9F5124 style scarifier shanks and tips. Dealer from trade show $44.21 for shanks and $11.43 for tips. Local dealer $53.14 for shanks and $12.06 for tips. Dealer from trade show about 20% less on the shanks than local dealer. Dealer recommended by Black Cat $33.20 for shanks and $9.00 for tips. That works out to about 25% less on the shanks than the dealer at the trade show. Makes me think the tips must be something special at $9! He sent the quote by e-mail so wouldn't think he made a typo. $33 seems like a steal! $300 for 9 shanks and just under $400 with the tips and GST. You couldn't beat $33 if you bought used shanks. I'll see what the Volvo style shanks come in at but heading there tomorrow to place the order and/or pick up the new shanks. I still can't believe a 12.6lb. shank with grooves in it for the beam and tips is only $33.
Once you have the shanks, all you'll ever need is the tips. The mid mount scarfier on my Volvo is chevron shaped. I try to rotate the shanks around as they wear. That being said I have no experience with a straight bar scarifier like yours, but the scarifier on my small grader is straight. And I find that the outside tips wear fastest. I rotate them to the middle to try and make them last longer.
The scarifier will work when the ground is too hard for the cultivator chisels on the tractor. I'll be able to rip up hard pack fairly easily. John Deere shanks have the notches on the back and use similar keepers to Volvo. If the Volvo shanks are too much more $$$ I'm wondering if I should cut new notches in the back instead of grinding the front notches wider? Good to know to monitor wear and move shanks around. I was flabbergasted the shanks are only $33. How do the scarifiers on the Mauldin's work?
Was looking at the quote again and I think the shanks are from Valley Blades that are also in Edmonton. I'm guessing they must sell both brands. A little odd when they are a preferred dealer for Black Cat and recommended by Black Cat. I don't think the brand makes much difference for grader scarifier shanks.
Was looking at the quote again and I think the shanks are from Valley Blades that are also in Edmonton. I'm guessing they must sell both brands. A little odd when they are a preferred dealer for Black Cat and recommended by Black Cat. I don't think the brand makes much difference for grader scarifier shanks. Bi I see the one grader has the Devils license plate. LoL
They do the job. But they are a light version. More agricultural. They are held in place with a pin this machine has more power and traction than the other 2, and will rip the tips off the shanks. I'll get a picture Friday. Starting this morning. I have 2 days of first aid. I have to carry the shanks upside-down on this machine unlike the others. To give room for emissions the muffler is under the machine. When I drive up the ramps on the tag along the teeth hit the ground.
I saw some used shanks for sale and one was missing the tooth. What was odd was the shank was bent back and curved half the way up the grooves that the tip slides onto. Don't think you could even install a new tip in the curved slots.
Picked up the shanks are they are from Black Cat. The place I got them is the largest Black Cat dealer in Western Canada. They had a ton of grader blades and other GET. It seems odd I hadn't heard of the place before. I though a bigger independent repair shop was the biggest Black Cat dealer. I didn't even call them because the new service manager they had really ticked me off a few years ago. Their loss. The shop I got the shanks can bring in the Volvo style shanks but they would be $88/ea.! I think the $33 Cat style will work just fine.
We have been using Black Cat teeth/adapters etc on our excavators for several years now, purchased through Morfco in Kamloops. Very reasonably priced and good quality. They also supply GET to some of the large mines here (Highland Valley Copper, etc).
They do have a good prices. Some stuff like my shanks and smaller bucket teeth come from China but when you're on a budget it's the difference between wanting something and having something. If a complete shank with tip and keepers was around $100ea. I wouldn't have bought them. Nine shanks with all the hardware for $501 was pretty reasonable.