Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

It’s starting to look like winter…

phil314 · 2019-02-16 14:58

I'm finally getting the hang of angling the plow, but it's still too fast. Also the 2500psi angle cylinders don't like 3500psi much. I'm going to need some plow upgrades.

Replies21
  1. #1DIYDAVE2019-02-16 20:25

    Now there's a sight I don't miss! We haven't had a bad storm here, fer a coupla years, last one this winter was 10" or so, last month, IIRR. ASV was in da shop, fer that one, hadda break out the lil k'boter and the back blade, to clear the driveway, and the snow was gone in a coupla days! when we get 2 or 3 feet, I have DAYS of work keeping it open and the drifts busted!Knocking on wood, our winter is likely pretty much done!

  2. #2Tags2019-02-16 20:26

    A couple things....WOW, that's quite a driveway, looks like the plow works great, seems like the drifting makes keeping the driveway clear a full time job and looks like you've had some "practice" at it, and did I mention that's quite a driveway.....

  3. #3phil3142019-02-17 11:44

    Yeah, it's about 1250ft of fun. It not so much the amount of snow. But high winds from the right direction can make drifts a real problem. In 2014 I was trapped in my house for 4 days, until I finally dug myself out. The plow works ok. It's a western unimount from a truck adapted to work on a skid steer. It's NOT a good choice for using on a skid steer, but I didn't know better back then and it's what I had. I've got plans to upgrade it some this summer.

  4. #43X82019-02-17 11:47

    You should have planted a wind break 30 years ago

  5. #5Mobiltech2019-02-17 12:30

    That would be a good place to use a blower. Too bad they’re so pricey.

  6. #6phil3142019-02-17 12:37

    Lol, Yeah a line of trees through the middle of my neighbors corn fields would have solved MY problems.

  7. #7crewchief8882019-02-17 14:51

    you could get a couple screw in restrictors for your couplers to slow the angle down......

  8. #8Wytruckwrench2019-02-17 15:07

    Will your neighbor let you plow the snow into a snow fence in his field?

  9. #9StumpyWally2019-02-17 15:19

    Yep...that is a helleva driveway....just be glad it's not too uphill or down hill!! My dwg is about 500 ft, almost level, & I plow it with my NH L220 SS w/ 7' hydraulically angled snow plow (Erskine = QuickAttach). Works great...& my angle works pretty fast, too, if you push the paddle switch all the way. I tend to just feather it a little. At least I'm warm in the cab!!

  10. #10phil3142019-02-17 16:29

    I looked into that. It's not a good idea. Using restrictors on the unimount plows puts a lot more stress on the pivot point of the plow and that is already the weak area of that plow. The correct fix would be to run 2 dual acting cylinders. That will slow the turn and also remove the stress off the pivot point.

  11. #11phil3142019-02-17 16:34

    I tried a snow fence many years ago. It actually made the problem worse. The problem is the fence line right beside the driveway. That is the real cause of the drifts in the driveway. A snowfence 50ft back doesn't fix that. The best solution so far is just to clear everything and let the snow blow through. Unfortunately there is still a dirt berm under the fence that needs to be leveled. That will happen this next summer. Then my driveway will be the high point and shouldn't collect as much snow.

  12. #12seville0092019-02-18 18:10

    Can you clear more of the snow on the upwind side of your driveway so that the drifting doesn’t clog the actual driveway so quick? That’s what I do on mine

  13. #13phil3142019-02-19 11:07

    Yes I do. But I can only go about 10ft west until I run into the dirt berm under the fence line. That will be fixed this next summer. This isn't a new problem for me. I've lived here 20yrs. Most of our snow is wet, drifting is only a problem in JAN when we get dry snow. We usually don't get much snow in FEB, but this year we are a couple inches away from the all time record with 2 more storms later in the week. I'd love to get a blower, but the truth is it would only get used every couple of years. The plow is much quicker for most of our snow. And my new snow tires freaking rock.

  14. #14DIYDAVE2019-02-19 20:31

    Sure beats the old days...

  15. #15Jeepwalker2019-02-21 22:17

    Is your driveway slightly elevated? Anything you can do to make it drift less in the first place will cut your work down. Looks like you're already plowing to one side (the leeward side). A blower might be a consideration, but they're slow and you almost need a heated cab (b/c some snow blows back in yer face). But they DO work great! My neighbor has a drive that looks almost like yours. He has a blower on a skid and when the wind is right he can shoot a rooster-tail 50'. Gets the snow up and out of the driveway. No drifting back in. One trip down, one back. Plow on a pick-up is a great way to go. Warm, and quicker. But you gotta run what ya brung, right?

  16. #16phil3142019-02-22 18:43

    Neighbors field/fence line is higher than driveway. I'm working with the neighbor to correct that next year since they are redoing the major road in front of my house. Blower would be cool, but I just don't think I'd get enough use out of it. As for pick-up vs skid, the skid steer wins for my use. It's just more versatile. 1. I have to plow around out buildings, trees, and behind my house too. Turning on a dime is a big advantage. 2. Skid steer gets used year round. Plow truck would just rust and be mouse food during the summer. 3. I can push up 10ft+ high snow banks or use the bucket to dig through them when needed. 4. Skid is enclosed with heat too. I cook like a rotisserie chicken when I plow.

  17. #17phil3142019-02-22 18:55

    We already passed the all time record snow fall for the month of Feb. We are also in the top 10 all time 1-month snow totals right now. With another storm coming this weekend. But it's still not as bad as 2014 was. Here's a pic of my driveway then.

  18. #18John C.2019-02-22 23:15

    Was on a project last week. Flew back from Chicago and there was snow all the way till just above Puget Sound. Lots of bright light in the day time.

  19. #19Albin792019-02-24 14:45

    Share as many of these videos as you can..... keeps the riff-raff from moving here.

  20. #20phil3142019-02-24 18:48

    I'm totally pooched again. 30mph gusts today. Driveway is gone. I'm getting a snowblower for next year or I'm moving.

  21. #213X82019-02-25 08:20

    Ugh, I feel your pain.