Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IUOE Apprenticeship

zraffz ยท 2018-08-31 20:10

I am looking to inquire into people's experience with the apprenticeship process for the Operating Engineers (local 825 specifically but open to input from other locals). I am the sole provider for a wife and 1 year old. I have money saved up and a few accounts that will terminate if I were to leave my employer. I am not really too worried about finances as I probably have 8-12 months worth of livings saved up to cover expenses but I am not looking to deplete my savings. After the initial 144 hours of training, how quickly does the union find you work? I feel like first year apprentices would be hard to find work for. The first year apprenticeship hourly rate is basically my current pay; take home would be higher though because I pay $160/month for health insurance and $250/month for savings accounts. Could I expect full 40(+) hour work weeks for the regular work season? I am looking to enter a more lucrative career.

Replies12
  1. #1Wes J2018-08-31 20:25

    Is the IUOE anything like the IBEW? If you want to be a union electrician around here you need to basically be born into it. Nobody gets in.

  2. #2DMiller2018-08-31 20:39

    Most times you just need a contact to get In, a friend of a friend or relative. Working in IUOE as a Stationary Engineer was easy as I transferred in thru the Garage I worked in, same company but IBEW hall, one withdrawal and one entry. Brother In Law's Father In Law got me into a first interview to hire in by being a reference, he also had retired from there.

  3. #3Jeckyl19202018-08-31 20:45

    Operating engineers are a bit different than ibew. Ok, a lot different. I'm in the same boat as you, but have no savings, and would make double what I currently make if I was in our local 12, and get benefits on top of that. I've been asking around, and everyone that is or was in it says the same. As an operator, you won't make more unless you own. My catch is the same. I have no clue how long it will take, or how far they will send me for work. I dont know about your area, but my area has a ton of work, so much so that the super green wannabe operators are getting work. That's about my extend of knowing. I would say. Ask around some local shops, and see if they can ask for you, or if you have to win the lottery. From one guy, he claims if you have a special skill, like say left handed friction cable bucket diggers, or some random sorts, that might get you into a spot faster. Good luck my friend.

  4. #4Wes J2018-08-31 20:56

    Can you join the union without doing the apprenticeship? That seems like a waste if you already have experience.

  5. #5Buckethead2018-08-31 21:05

    The local that the original poster was asking about has recruited a lot of operators from non union contractors. They do have people test in. (Practical test on machines, not written test) Not sure about the exact details of the test.

  6. #6zraffz2018-08-31 21:11

    I'm sure it's super competitive. I have a 10 year history (verifiable) of efficiently operating excavators, backhoes, wheel loaders, power box pavers, asphalt rollers, graders, dozers tractor mounted equipment and a Class A CDL. I have numerous OSHA training certifications too. Oh, and I am rather mechanically inclined although I don't think that would do me much good since I don't wish to turn wrenches. I have a steady work history, fantastic employer references and a track record of being extremely ambitious... I am the youngest Public Works department head ever in the state of New Jersey; which I hope draws some attention to me. Truthfully, I can probably go places in my current field/title but it's a lot of stress to deal with at times. I am the sole management for my department and I try to juggle working with the crews, paperwork (which is endless), scheduling, engineering smaller projects, on call 24/7, training, assessing and prioritizing work & road conditions, fleet management, budgeting, etc.

  7. #7Buckethead2018-08-31 21:13

    I am not really sure what you mean by "left handed friction cable bucket diggers" (dragline?) but skill on something that's in demand like milling or paving machine, wouldn't hurt. Or something that is specialized and dangerous like winch cat on pipeline, or sideboom (live tractor not hydraulic).

  8. #8Jeckyl19202018-08-31 21:25

    You can probably test in with no problems. Talk to the local and see what they say. I don't actually have verifiable experience like you do. All my experience is in non union, family owned small contractors.... I was making something up, but ya.

  9. #9Buckethead2018-08-31 21:30

    That's what the test if for. To see if you can do what you say you do. That's what verifies your experience.

  10. #10zraffz2018-08-31 21:34

    I have a good friend (who falls under the laborer union as a foreman for a road construction company) tell me that I could go that route. I wouldn't have any issue completing an apprenticeship program if it would have advantages over testing in.

  11. #11Buckethead2018-09-01 09:38

    I have been thinking about this. I am not sure how to answer your question, as I don't go to the training center very often. Usually just once a year to renew my hazmat. So I am not really up to speed on how the apprentice program works. I wish I could help more. Most information you get on the internet is going to be second hand information anyway, unless it's from someone who actually works there or goes to school there.

  12. #12Tinkerer2018-09-01 10:42

    You need to go to the Local 825 apprenticeship coordinator and talk to him / her . Unless you already have.